Finishing a turned item from dog rose wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boleynworkshop

Reaction score
I was given some largish (3” diameter) dog rose stems in about 3’ lengths from a mate who found an old dog rose in a garden he was maintaining. What can you do with these, he asked. It was tempting to say exactly where I would insert them but that seemed unfair after his kind gesture. I decided to create a small trophy for our monthly crib games. I ran the strips through the cabinet saw to create some strips that would be laminated to create turning blanks. All has gone well and I am turning three separate sectionsthat will join together to create the trophy. These are a base, a stem and the bowl that may or not yet have a fitted lid. I realised today that I do not have a plan for finishing it bar the sanding. I am wondering what would be the best oil or wax to use as cannot find anything online or in my books. The wood is close grained but fairly soft and is easily turned, some of it is white in colour but there is also brown streaks and lighter knots. As this is a one off I don’t want to mess it up nor do I have enough wood to test the usual suspects on. So, anyone got any ideas or actual experience of dog rose wood? Thanks in advance people.

Latest posts

Back