Finishes to start with

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am just starting to make a few things and have basics like clear varnish, beeswax and linseed oil but wondered what you guys suggest to have in my cabinet so to speak?

I have read a few mentions of shellac but am not sure where to buy it for the best price can anyone help? also what other finishes do you think I should maybe buy to start using?

Appologies if you think this is abit of a stupid basic question....

Colin

colin,

it is not a stupid question. it depends greatly on what you plan to make, but I would suggest 2 things.

1. when you make your first item, choose a suitable finish at that point.
2. when you make your 2nd item, try to use the finish that you have.
2a. don't be tempted to go out and buy loads of different finishes, because they slowly go off.

I think there's far too much reliance on readymade mixtures of things these days (Danish oil, hard wax oils and the like) when a few basics cover most of the real requirements for furniture, decorative items and tool handles, both in terms of function and looks. And those few basics for me, in order, would be an oil-based varnish, a drying oil and some wax, along with some white spirit or turpentine for dilution. So you're well covered for the basics already IMO!

Oil-based varnish will mean polyurethane usually these days but it doesn't have to be poly. The drying oil is traditionally boiled linseed oil and it's probably still the most common choice, although I've moved away from using it myself it has a lot to recommend it and I think it's probably the best to begin with.

If I had to add one more thing to that list it would be shellac. Shellac can be used as a standalone finish of course and it has numerous other potential uses but not everyone has some so it can't be said to be a must-have. Very handy all the same and I'd prefer not to be without some myself. If you want to get some and you're likely to use it only occasionally it's a good idea to buy it in flakes or buttons and make up your own with meths when needed as it's best fresh and in liquid form it goes off on the shelf (drying very much more slowly or not at all).

Thanks both. OK I will stick with what I have but will post a message once ive made something im proud of out of proper wood to get your thoughts and get guidance on the best way.

I think youre right I wont use stuff too often so wont go and just buy now but may look into shellac flakes. any ideas on best place to buy some, is it something screwfix or B&Q sell or is there a decent online place?

thanks again guys

Colin

technium":awvwcv9i said:
Thanks both. OK I will stick with what I have but will post a message once ive made something im proud of out of proper wood to get your thoughts and get guidance on the best way.

I think youre right I wont use stuff too often so wont go and just buy now but may look into shellac flakes. any ideas on best place to buy some, is it something screwfix or B&Q sell or is there a decent online place?

thanks again guys

Colin

you can only get it online as far as I know, got mine from axminster because it was the cheapest price I could find.

Thanks, I will check out Axminster. I see you need Methylated Spirits but is 94% pure ok which seems to be standard or do I need to source 100%?

thanks

Colin

technium":228p8pvy said:
Thanks, I will check out Axminster. I see you need Methylated Spirits but is 94% pure ok which seems to be standard or do I need to source 100%?

thanks

Colin

it's personal preference really, I have tried both and prefer 99.9% isopropanol, it creates a slightly better result, that's been my experience so far.

thetyreman":171rj9oa said:
technium":171rj9oa said:

thanks

Colin

it's personal preference really, I have tried both and prefer 99.9% isopropanol, it creates a slightly better result, that's been my experience so far.

Ive only used Isopropanol for cleaning computer parts, so will that be ok to use instead of Meths?

thanks

Colin

All alcohols can be used to make up and dilute shellac. Some report better results using rubbing alcohol or isopropyl but others say they don't notice a difference over the more common choices (denatured alcohol in the US, methylated spirits over here).

Water content does matter, but if 94% is the usual strength in the UK you should be fine with that given it's what nearly everyone would be using.

ED65":3rxos6zj said:
All alcohols can be used to make up and dilute shellac. Some report better results using rubbing alcohol or isopropyl but others say they don't notice a difference over the more common choices (denatured alcohol in the US, methylated spirits over here).

Water content does matter, but if 94% is the usual strength in the UK you should be fine with that given it's what nearly everyone would be using.

the problem though, is in the US their denatrued alcohol is not purple, it's the purple dye that I don't like in meths, on light woods when you get a build up or puddle, you get this horrible muddy looking stain, I find it ruins the look and is the opposite of what you want with shellac, maybe I just haven't mastered applying it yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LITRE-Pharmace ... yl+alcohol

Isopropyl is not expensive, certainly no more so than meths. It is a brilliant cleaner for glues, sticky label residue, all manner of things. It degreases metals prior to sticking with epoxy and softens hot melt, which is what I use it for. The beauty of the separate litres is you can sell a couple on to friends at a profit which subsidises your usage. I found people are delighted to pay a couple of quid over the unit price- they'd get caned for P&P on a small order otherwise, even if they knew what you'd paid. :D

thetyreman":27z151mu said:
the problem though, is in the US their denatrued alcohol is not purple, it's the purple dye that I don't like in meths, on light woods when you get a build up or puddle, you get this horrible muddy looking stain, I find it ruins the look and is the opposite of what you want with shellac, maybe I just haven't mastered applying it yet.
Puddle? You ain't doin' it right if there be puddles :mrgreen:

Jokes aside, given meths has been the default choice for a few generations of craftsmen the purple colouring doesn't seem to be an issue in practice. If the colour does show on the palest woods with the lightest colours of shellac the dye used is fugitive so you can be assured the purple will go away with exposure to light.

phil.p":27z151mu said:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LITRE-Pharmaceutical-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Isopropanol/dp/B00WL92SNA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1489657407&sr=8-9&keywords=isopropyl+alcohol

Isopropyl is not expensive, certainly no more so than meths.
Well if you can get it for much the same money as meths over there then there's no reason not to buy it in preference.

Here, the only source is the occasional chemist's who still stock that kind of thing and that makes it ever so slightly more expensive than meths :shock:

Thanks All so I guess either is fine although I do like the idea of the IPA.

Phil - does the IPA have a shelf life as id prefer the 5 smaller bottles and I dont have friends LOL

Latest posts

Back