finish on top of finishing oil?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keenedge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just put 3 layers of fininshing oil on an oak framed mirror and was wondering if I should put anything more on top of that or would it be best to leave it at that?
Thanks
John

John
Really that's a question for you to answer - does it need it?
You could give the frame a rub over with steel wool and give it a coat of wax - that'll give it a nice sheen. But if you are happy with how it looks then you're done!
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":354at6pd said:
John
You could give the frame a rub over with steel wool and give it a coat of wax - that'll give it a nice sheen. But if you are happy with how it looks then you're done!
Cheers

Steel wool on oak? I thought that was a bit of a no no? Mind you I am really only paddling in the sea of knowledge at the moment! :)

miles_hot":25bcz9ui said:
Philly":25bcz9ui said:
John
Cheers

Steel wool on oak? I thought that was a bit of a no no? Mind you I am really only paddling in the sea of knowledge at the moment! :)

yep its not a good idea - the iron reacts with the tannins to darken the piece - or sometimes to just give black flecks - that said its possible the 3 coats of oil would stop that happening.

Apologies - I meant the synthetic stuff (which I still can't remember the name of!)
Mind you - if there are three coats of finish on the oak, a light de-nib with steel wool isn't going to touch the oak.
Cheers

Pan scrubber it is, that will put it out of use for dishes:) Thanks, 2 birds with one thingy.

Back