Finish for wooden door sill plate ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
The door that is in between the entrance hall and the rest of the house has had a temporary sill plate on it since year dot (when that part of the house was renovated !). In my retirement I'm gently getting round to addressing these 'features' that never got finished.

I've a bit of oak spare that will do the job nicely, but wonder what the best finish would be for it. My feeling is oil - correct ? - but which one? My feeling is that any sort of varnish will not cope with the traffic through this door, including the occasional out-door shoe that doesn't obey SWMBO's rules.

Many thanks
Rob

Hi Froggy
What an excellent site - that one is definitely for bookmarking. Thank you.

There are two problems with PU varnish - it takes ages to dry and I have had bad experiences before with it on floors. I can get round the 'ages to dry' by pre-varnishing and fitting it prepared, but the previous experience is one I have difficulty getting over particularly when varnish scores 1 for repairability, and oil scores 5, but then oil scores only 2 for wear !! There doesn't seem to be a solution. Hmmm.

Rob

I always think twice about replying to my own posts as it does seem a bit odd. Anyway I've now been told elsewhere that PU varnish and oak do not go well together so oil it will be.

Hi Rob, I'm glad you did reply to your own thread because I am just about to put a PU finish on an oak garden bench I made. I have tried oil (and lots of it!!) on the bench but it just doesn't protect it from the elements. If oil is no good (which it isn't) and I can't use PU varnish what are my options? I'd like to know why PU and oak don't go together, but in the absence of an explanation I will try the PU and get back to you on the results; although that could be a while. Good luck with the oil.

Latest posts

Back