Finish for red pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you look at the attached picture please. This is a Sketch Up picture of what my daughter has asked me to do for her staircase. Originally there was a partition wall dividing the stair off from the hall - this was removed some time back leaving amongst other problems a nasty hole (80mm horizontally - 250mm in the vertical plane) along the edge of the hall ceiling.

Staircase.jpg

The verticals are to be in oak. The configuration at the ceiling edge is a 250 mm wide batten covering the 'nasty hole', with the oak verticals lying over it as they do the stair stringer. A plain paint finish has been mooted for this batten which has been made from some nice red pine timbers I won recently - despite the good colours and patterns of the red pine it was felt that two varnished wood types would not look good together.

Here's the question : I've since had a thought - is there some way that pine can be treated like ash (?) to have colour but also show the grain ?

Thanks for any advise

Rob

Attachments

• Staircase.jpg
    Staircase.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 794
you could try wire brushing along the grain to create more definition between the summer and winter growth.

on a separate note do the uprights comply to building regs? from the pic they don't look like they do

Back