• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Staircase treads...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Torx

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice work, thanks for posting the pics. Did the wax change the colour at all? Wife definitely prefers the lighter colour but the oil I used made it darker.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
It does dry clear. You only notice there's a creamy colour in the liquid if you splash it on white gloss....

Torx

Established Member
Reaction score
Slowly getting there...

For the small cracks, is this stuff worthwhile or is there a general purpose epoxy that would do the job?

Doesn’t seem to be a two part mix?

Presumably standard floor finishes such as the OSMO stuff will be ok over the top?

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I use sawdust and pva, which very rarely matches the surrounding wood, so I tint the filler with acrylic, usually burnt umber. If you go darker than the wood it looks more natural than going too light. Water based finishes go just fine over these.

Torx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd just mix ordinary pva wood glue with sawdust.
I use sawdust and pva, which very rarely matches the surrounding wood, so I tint the filler with acrylic, usually burnt umber. If you go darker than the wood it looks more natural than going too light. Water based finishes go just fine over these.
Great, I’ve got plenty of that. Does it sand OK? Not something I’ve tried before.

mikej460

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes I (and others) use it a lot, normally to fill badly fitting joints 😬 and yes if you get the right amount of sawdust to glue it sands well without looking like a glue splodge. I suggest testing it on a piece of scrap. Knock a few nail holes in it then try different proportions of sawdust to glue. Sand when dry then apply whatever stain/varnish/paint you intend to use.

Torx

Established Member
Reaction score
This cheered me up - one of my favourite YouTubers...

Bit annoyed he did it in 3 days, I was going to say he obviously doesn’t have kids until he pulled out a packet of baby wipes.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
This cheered me up - one of my favourite YouTubers...

Bit annoyed he did it in 3 days, I was going to say he obviously doesn’t have kids until he pulled out a packet of baby wipes.
I watched this on Youtube last night and thought I would add it to this thread then found it's already here!

The handrail he made looked fantastic, I'm looking forwards to the video of him making it.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
How did he do it in 3 days? I needed 3 coats of paint stripper, hours of (cold) scraping of 100 year old varnish that heat only turned to glue, minor filling, moderate sanding, touching up white dents and nail holes with acrylic, 3 coats of wax and 2 of white gloss on all surrounding woodwork. 15 treads and risers at 3 hours each (minimum) makes 45 hours without breaks. Budget 2 solid weeks for this job

Last edited: