finish for black palmira

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breezey

Reaction score
ive just started to turn a bowl out of black palmira/ indian palm has anyone got any ideas on a suitable finishing product, im still on a very steep learning curve been turning about 5 weeks, have got cellulose sanding sealer, wax22 to hand and friction polish on the way. any ideas appreciated

Hello Breezy.
I've got no idea as to what the wood is,but the only finish i've got at the moment is the sanding sealer and wax22.
I find it gives a nice deep gloss finish.
If this is the finish you want than use it,though i'm sure someone with greater knowledge will be along soon.
Don't forget a piccy when done :D
Paul.J.

Hi Breezey.

Don't know much about Palm (wood) but most pieces I have seen are very fibrous. I believe they are very difficult to cut neatly because of the fibres. Possibly a oil finish, but I have not had any personal experience of Palm woods.

Picked up this description on the web:- Description

One of only a few palms utilised for timber and in common with other palms has a soft and fibrous core with only useful hard material only on the extreme outer parts of the logs resulting in only small sizes being offered. The wood has an unique structure with dark, almost black, hard streaks in a paler background matrix.. Difficult to work but with unusual effect.

Good luck

Don't know,but as I have a piece of black palmira in my stock of timber,would also be interested to see what people think.(It's a 4" x 2" block,and I haven't thought of what to make with it yet either :-k )

Andrew

If you want to see what it looks like turned there are some examples here Nice proces too!!!!!

Pretty spectacular....beats the pants of Zebrano IMHO. Yandles had some in stock the other week....damn I don't buy wood, anyone know where there's a log or two lying around? :lol:

Pete

Well done Pete, I guess we must live in the wrong part of the world, those prices are unbelievable. What's even more unbelievable is that it looks as if they are selling.

I didn't know what black palmira looked like so found this link :- http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/Woods/WoodList.htm Some nice timbers, and you can use the pictures for reference.

If I can get those prices for turnings I'd be tempted to do it proffessionally. It'd be interesting to find out what those pros on her think. Any comments from you guys?

Pete

What you've got to realise with the prices is that they are the gallery's retail prices and the maker doesn't receive that amount. Galleries can take around 50% in commission (some take more, some less). On top of that you're looking at US $ prices and with the exchange rate as it is they are about double the equivalent UK £.

In addition to the above you also have to consider that it's the US market where turned work is appreciated and valued more than here in the UK. I'd say we're probably about 10 to 20 years behind the US here consequently there isn't the interest from the public or the outlets available to achieve these prices in the UK. In the US turned work is collected like any other art form and you have many private and public collections. Many if not all of these collectors know and are members of the Woodturning Center in Philadelphia where this exhibition is staged and of the Collectors of Wood Art Forum. If you check out the Wood Turning Center web site http://www.woodturningcenter.org/ you'll find some of these collections in print.

And finally bear in mind that the exhibition is the work of well known or up and coming turners from around the world. In furniture terms it's the work of Makepeace, Peters etc that's being exhibited.

two bloody great shames:-
1 being 20 odd years behind and having no real outlets for us yet
2 having to b "known" to have your work appreciated when some of the work displayed on here can b the equal of some of the great names

wood yew believe it !":39iedmhx said:
2 having to b "known" to have your work appreciated when some of the work displayed on here can b the equal of some of the great names

I'd agree with that but it's also not easy to become "known". It doesn't happen over night. It takes a lot of time marketing and promoting yourself and your work. Some of the names in that exhibition have been around for a long time. Our own Mike Scott from Anglesey has been turning professionally since the eighties.

wood yew believe it !":gl4x6sx6 said:
mark, didnt mean to make it sound like i wanted it on a plate m8, i have nothing but the utmost respect for the big guns as they HAVE taken the time and effort to get there

Sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt - didn't mean to :oops:

Back