Finish for a log store

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWatters

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building a log store out of scrap wood mostly DIY store PAR "redwood" but with a base in PTS (left over rails from a fence). It will look something like this one when finished....

http://www.edistone.com/db/Pattern_A_Log_Store

I'm trying to decide what finish to give it and could use some advice. Ideally I want something thats easy maintenance and doesn't need to be removed or sanded before recoating in a few years. Does that rule out Sadolins? Should I be looking at a preservative stain or light coloured Creosote substitute?

I would use creosote for something like that - cheap, easy to apply and, in my experience, one of the best wood preservatives there is. I always use the dark brown one - for fences, gates, wood stores and the like it just looks right, in my view.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2pwlfxq7 said:
I would use creosote for something like that - cheap, easy to apply and, in my experience, one of the best wood preservatives there is. I always use the dark brown one - for fences, gates, wood stores and the like it just looks right, in my view.

Paul
....except Paul that proper creosote is no longer available. I think there's a similar product that's used instead now. Something to do with H&S with the old stuff :? - Rob

woodbloke":4xc2aluc said:
....except Paul that proper creosote is no longer available. I think there's a similar product that's used instead now. Something to do with H&S with the old stuff :?

Yes, you're right. I've been using the creosote substitute (the dark brown one from B&Q) and frankly I can't tell the difference between that and the old stuff. Still excellent for fences and the like.

My daughter tried some of the latest water-based fence preservative stuff that they sell these days and it was absolutely awful. Very difficult to apply; doesn't seem to penetrate the wood; horrible colour and expensive. A complete waste of time and money in my view.

Paul

PS In the days when more people used to service their own cars, I knew several people who used old engine oil as a treatment for fences. It looked OK (a similar dark brown/black as creosote) and preserved the wood very well. Also more environmentally friendly than throwing the old oil down the drain, as some people used to do.

I went with the light coloured creosote substitute in the end - mainly because I'd already got some. It came out close to the oak stain we have on the windows of the house.

Just need some logs and a pipe for the stove now. The bits arrived this week and had to be sent straight back as they'd sent the wrong size.

Paul

Not just in your day
Have a friend who,s an engineer he swears by old engine oil and his fence looks great, mind you he saves time by spraying it on........big fence .
I,m sure the H&S would have something to say about it but how much greener can you get.

Marty

Back