Finials and Barge Boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score

A straightforward question for the roofing experts.....

What type of timber would be traditionally preferred for a large (4" x 4") turned roof-top finial and for decorative, pierced barge boards?

Can't comment on the finial - but when I replaced\repaired the barge boards on our roof some years ago, I used pressure treated softwood.

HIH

Dibs

Possibly Larch for the finial. Dont use plywood for the boards . Better with treated redwood. Good luck.

I think I would use some sorted joinery grade redwood for both (if you can get it treated and let it dry out even better).
We did some fancy bargeboards a few months ago and used some 9" x 1 1/2", when it was finished it looked nice and chunkey. I always fit the top plumb cut joint with a few biscuits to help hold them together. At the fear of teaching Nan to suck eggs; I would say it is important to give the boards a good coat of oil based primer with coats of good quality top paint.

Cheers, Merlin.

A few years ago, I built a double bay heavy duty compost bin for a fairly posh young (ish) lady in our village.
When I'd put it together I reckoned that it needed some finishing touches so I got hold of some old and very dry 4" x 4" pine and turned an apple, a pear and a lemon for the tops of the three rear posts, and acorns for the three at the front. I sneaked around when she was out and fitted them then sploshed them with the same timber treatment that I'd used for the main structure and she thought they were brilliant!

I didn't get the legover that I thought we might be working towards. But my turnings are still there!

Tony Spear":2r9v1zts said:
A few years ago, I built a double bay heavy duty compost bin for a fairly posh young (ish) lady in our village.
When I'd put it together I reckoned that it needed some finishing touches so I got hold of some old and very dry 4" x 4" pine and turned an apple, a pear and a lemon for the tops of the three rear posts, and acorns for the three at the front. I sneaked around when she was out and fitted them then sploshed them with the same timber treatment that I'd used for the main structure and she thought they were brilliant!

I didn't get the legover that I thought we might be working towards. But my turnings are still there!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Priceless.......

Thanks to all.

Larch is readily available here in Wales, so it looks as if it's.... Larch. The Barge boards may end up as Larch also, If i can find any clear lengths about 4 M, otherwise it's going to be Redwood.
The Finials will be the important bit as they will be completely inaccessible once the staging is gone.

There's absolutely no possibility whatsoever of anything on the side - you haven't seen the client!

Latest posts

Back