Finger meets tablesaw. OUCH?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be even more impressive if the designers used their own fingers.
In fact I think they should be made to carry out the ultimate test before they are allowed to sell the equipment.

They do test flight in new aircraft.

Oops!! My bad for not watching all the video (I can't be doing with the hyperactive superlative ridden commentary that the yanks are so fond of).

That took balls, big balls.

There is another system available that uses a sensor system that's housed in the blade guard.
When it "sees" your finger it stops the blade, the blade guard is a little larger than normal so that there is some distance between the guard and the blade.

Hmm , bit disconcerting that he felt the need to dip his finger in that tank of water first to increase conductivity

Why does he dip his finger in the water? If the system is to work correctly, surely it would stop with a dry finger? If the sawstop is activated, from what I gathered the saw and machine is knackered, the saw blade, you could live with, but the machine..... there not disposable!

I do find it somewhat strange that an american company spends all that time and money developing a safety system that needn't exist if the american users and saw manufacturers gave a pineapple about safe operating methods.

SawStop's been about in the states for about 3yrs or so, it used to have 'disposable' blades, that are chucked after the mechanism's been triggered. But I saw a video a while back on The Wood Whisperer or someone elses blog that showed that they can just raise the blade back up and continue business as usual. Not sure on the details though. Not sure when/ if they'll be introduced over here though.

Cheers _Dan.

Shane":2cmlbei6 said:
I do find it somewhat strange that an american company spends all that time and money developing a safety system that needn't exist if the american users and saw manufacturers gave a pineapple about safe operating methods.

LOL!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Best laugh I've had all day
S

I seen this a while ago and also was concerned that he wanted to use a wet finger.

Personally I think it will make you less weary about where your fingers are resulting in a less safety conscious operator.

There are testimonials on their web site: people get cuts, but only slight ones. I can understand if the inventor doesn't want one!

They sell the replacement parts for around $60, and the system doesn't trash the entire saw.

The other interesting thing is that they don't sell it as an aftermarket add-on. It's only available on their premium line of table saws. That'll be at least partly for reasons of quality control, but the saws themselves do look rather nice though - I don't think they've skimped on quality there.

The other system (with a detector blade guard) I've looked at too. It's not on the market yet, but has patents pending. The stopping system is electric (seems from the patent to be straightforward if heavy duty DC injection braking, but I may be wrong). I'd be surprised if it is ever launched commercially, for a number of reasons, some technical, some marketing strategy.

The SawStop one looks completely thought through, the other one doesn't. I'm not sure if I'd want one, but it's certainly clever.

E.

Seems impressive and would probably work with my sweaty paws :oops: but my missus hands are so dry she cannot even make one of those easter chick things cheep when resting on her hand (if you haven't seen them they use the conductivity from skin to make a circuit and make, well, a chick cheep!). I wouldn't give her fingers much odds with that system.

I also wonder how he will deal with the first law suit when someone does lose a finger to his saw?

I was in negotiations with Saw Stop about bringing these machines into the UK & EU market.
There are still Ce marking issues though.
Problem with the blades is tct blades are often damaged when the brake triggers.
The guys in Saw Stop seem to know their product, but, in the EU there is a different safety philosphy, and requirements which mean that there is no small hill to climb to bring this kit to our market.

Oh, & NO I am NOT joking, I have several of the senior teams cell numbers!

Wants the first thing you want to do when you get on? make sure it works. Thats $60 gone, whats the next think you want to know once you have fitted another, make sure it works, another $60 gone hehe

I'm a UK expat living in the USA and I'm currently pondering buying a sawstop. As Paul said, they are dead cagey about the CE certification in the EU. I am interested to find out if a USA sawstop will work in Europe because I might have to relocate back in the future and I don't want to pay sawstop prices (they are not cheap) for something which might not work on the other side of the pond. They told me it will likely be 2+ years before they are able to think about a version which satisfies EU law? :roll:

However, compared with the rest of the US machines, I think theirs is still likely one (if not the) safest I have seen. It seems riving knives are not that common here...

It all looks very nice and even works. And then you realise that the guy behind it is a patent lawyer. I'd rather saw off my fingers than hand over money to one of those vultures.

BelgianPhil":2ihs69fm said:
It all looks very nice and even works. And then you realise that the guy behind it is a patent lawyer. I'd rather saw off my fingers than hand over money to one of those vultures.

If you mean the Whirlwind, it's a well-formed patent application, but by my reading of it, it's not for the saw emergency brake as such, but for a safety system, including other aspects such as dust extraction.

It's also an application at present, not an actual patent.

Personally, patent award notwithstanding, I don't think it will beat the SawStop in the marketplace, for oodles of practical reasons.

I seem to recall it's all kicking off in the States in that there was a recent legal case where some guy sued I think it was Makita(?) for his injuries sustained whilst using one of their table saws. The procecution argued that if devices like Saw Stop are available, then manufacturers are being negligent for not fitting them to all their saws. The fact that the guy was using the saw on site without any riving kife, guarding, or even a fence had nothing to do with it!! The really scary thing is, they won!! I think other manufacturers are now crapping themselves that sawstop devices are to be made mandatory in the USA.

Si.

Blimey. I thought the nanny state in the UK was bad. Gadgets like the sawstop should never replace common sense, but be used alongside. Like seatbelts/airbags/car insurance. I have all three but drive like I haven't.

Back