Fine Flake Graphite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just occurred to me... The old pump organ I dismantled recently, all the little push-rods and moving wooden parts were black with graphite. It gets everywhere.

NazNomad":294qsaf4 said:
Just occurred to me... The old pump organ I dismantled recently, all the little push-rods and moving wooden parts were black with graphite. It gets everywhere.

I suppose it's almost like an electroplated slippery coating. It doesn't run off like a liquid would eventually.

It makes a non sawdust attracting lube for things like table saw trunnions. Mix it with carnauba wax and turpentine to a brushable consistency and store in a glass jar with a small brush to apply it with.

I can see sales of graphite powder increase now as all the woodworkers buy a bit to put on their vice threads and bars.

Use stuff called Dri Slide for tuning air rifles contains Molybdenum and Graphite. Plain pencil rubbed over fishing rod spigots prevents them sticking without attracting dirt. I have heard of it being mixed with mineral oil and used as a strop paste in fact Dovo sell a black stropping paste for razors. No idea if it works or not.

AndyT":2y8240m7 said:
Maybe liquid paraffin was the other ingredient?
That or Vaseline are likely possibilities, if it was a very old container it might have been an oil of natural origin like neatsfoot.

phil.p":1ahndddk said:
We used to break up pencil leads to put in ball bearing races when we were kids.

You knew how to make your own entertainment!! :D

I hope you won the races...

Tiny bit in the slots on a guitar nut can help with tuning issues when using the tremolo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The leads of pencils are not something I'd use as lubricant. They contain Clay as a binder for the graphite.

Back