Fine dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure about that? I would have thought that a commercial workshop air filter would do a lot better than the unit you mention. Does it have a pre-filter as well as the HEPA?

The HEPA filter filters down to 0.3 micron, and there is a carbon pre filter infront. Most of the commercial workshop units seem to go down to 1 micron, Rutlands Dakota goes to 0.4 (or 0.5 ?) Microclene are 1 micron (I think)

As far as I can find out the body traps particles down to 0.3 micron anything smaller is too small to be trapped and gets expelled.

So, I suppose the question is, just how small are the dust particles created in the average woodworking workshop environment.

Hi all

Work on the air cleaner moves on - slight diversion due to upcoming mother-in-law's birhtday though..

I tested some reference sound sources to get an idea of how loud the finished item is as a couple of people (me too!) thought a lack of noise is important

the reference tests - nearly all kit in my workshop - are posted here

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2149

Cheers

Tony

Tony,
I had a thought about your system. Would a cooker extraction unit provide the power.I looked at ours and it seems to have a good volume of air going through and it has three speeds. I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to change the ordinary filter for a fine one that you have.

Nice thought Jaymar.

I have been sidetracked with a couple of other projects (jigs and boxes posted here abouts) but have considered the rotary fans from cheap fan heaters as another option if the desk fan (or two) is not good enough.

Just to keep the thread alive I will provide a progress report.
Design done
80% wood cut
Joints still to make for frame - lap mainly.
Desk fan and heaters purchased (heaters £7 each!!)
Noise of typical workshop euipment measured for reference
I got hold of an air flow meter too

Just need that most elusive of things now - time :cry:

Hi Barry

The frame is made but I have had no free time for ages and manage around 2 hours a week in the workshop, except the last 3 weeks when I haven't actually been in there. Working for a living sometimes stinks :evil:

A week or two from now should see me back in there and working on it again

Bean came over a while back and suggested fitting one of the filters on to the dust extractor where the bag attaches to act as a very fine filter. i'll be trying this out too

Thanks for that Tony.
Know how you feel about never getting any free time. I've been working away from home for the last thirteen months now and weekends tend to be more of a family thing with lots and lots of plans made last year still on hold. :cry:

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Back