Finally

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
As I am always short of workshop time :-({|= i have started going in there and just turning and not finishing owt! BUt I have finally got round to finishing some so i have some room to mov e in there! \:D/

Very nice Mrs S.
Huge improvement all round i'd say:D
I like em all but me fav is the fruit bowl.What wood is it,Ash :?:
Paul.J.

good aren't you? yes the bowl is ash. I still make a lot of mistakes and the inside of my work leaves A LOT to be desired (don't tell CHJ :oops: ) but it is slowly coming!

Mrs S,

You have been busy! Good work I'd say, although I should have preferred to see them less shiny - perhaps with just a couple of coats of oil.

bang on the button there Chris! the very same thought occurred to me as they all sat there dazzling me on the kitchen table when did it!! :roll:

Lookin' good Mrs S!

Chris and yourself beat me to it, shine is great but only on certain woods, and pieces. My favorite for Ash has always been oil.

Mind you one way of beating the glare is to go over the pieces with some 4 O wire wool and paste wax. It would leave a finish like a soft sheen.

I would leave the small box shiny though.

Of course this is OMO :)

mrs. sliver":14zbtols said:
I still make a lot of mistakes and the inside of my work leaves A LOT to be desired (don't tell CHJ :oops: )

Don't tell anybody and 95% of them will be non the wiser, what's with this normal looking stuff anyway, nothing there that comes even close to bizarre.
Are you sure you have not just been kidding us, the form and finish seems to be an order of magnitude improvement on the last pieces I saw.

Collect 6 brownie points and have glass of something to celebrate.

Collect 6 brownie points and have glass of something to celebrate?

Any old excusse for a glass of something!!! :lol:

and I done another goblet today but NOT so shiny this time :roll:

[/

Another nice piece there Mrs.S. :D
Some nice detail on the stem,though it looks top heavy to me. :?
What finish did you apply on this one. :?:
Paul.J.

Looks like the bowl is quite thin, near the rim anyway, how did you tackle it, hollow first and then turn the outside or turn both inner and outer in stages from the rim?

I too think the base could have done with a little more flair just to balance the proportions.

Considerable development in your turning in a relatively short space of time.

I have just used linseed oil so far, but it was just the one coat and it dried too matt now so will put a couple more coats on and some wax I think .. unless you have any suggestions? I turn the inside first then feel my way round the outside. the last one i made I did the bowl a bit too small think which may explain why I made this one too big :roll:
BUT as it is thought that the bowl is top heavy and the stand is too heavy it maybe that it is the detail part is is too thin or whole thing too tall?

mrs. sliver":wsuqumsb said:
BUT as it is thought that the bowl is top heavy and the stand is too heavy it maybe that it is the detail part is is too thin or whole thing too tall?

No not top heavy, just that the bowl is wider than the base by a significant amount.

Try fitting a slender "washer" of contrasting dark wood under the base to flair it out more and see what you think.

EDIT: Sample

don't be sorry!! I need the input!!! I was just not sure if it was maybe that I went in too thin too quickly from the bowl or if I'd made it too tall. :-k I don't take it as criticism anyway, it is all useful advise!! and any comment MOST welcome!! :D

Back