Finally, something worth watching on the TV!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched Smith and Sweetman this morning never seen it before, but was a bit disappointed. Their board glue ups were awful like the back of the donkeys hind leg, so much so they had to scrap one of them and they paid £500 for the wood (maple). i've no doubt that part of the problem was the poxy clamps they were using I have 2 of them and they are IMHO really bad, they bend, you cannot exert any real pressure, they also did not have them on square. The dresser and the chair were ok but again the boards were all over the place, I thought they would rip them and re-glue but no they seem to think that an undulating surface was fine. There was some useful tips. One other point I was always told that the window in the hollow chisel mortiser should face away from the direction you are going eg the chipping fall into the mortice you have just made, theirs was facing the back but it seemed to turn out all right. The young lad could certainly handle a router, but he referred to it as routering, nice guy though.

I too was looking forward to seeing this series again but having watched the first one (The chest of drawers), I was disappointed.

Maybe my woodworking experience (not skills !!) have moved on a bit from when I watched it the first time around, but things just jumped out such as sloppy joints, no wood prep despite having the machinery and glaring issues such as when they fully glued the drawer runners to the solid maple sides and the solid wood top to the solid wood carcass. This seems to be common at the moment as I watched The cutting Edge Woodworker fully glue his breadboard ends on a solid wood top the other day,

Better than a lot of others though and just grateful for woodwork on TV.

Jeff

I watched the table build today,(Smith and Sweetman)good to see that everybody makes mistakes.
For me it's reality, Norm is a robot! :)

Mdotflorida":1zy5j609 said:
.This seems to be common at the moment as I watched The cutting Edge Woodworker fully glue his breadboard ends on a solid wood top the other day,

Jeff
I seen this too and was a little confused until I had a good look at my extending Oak table, this looked as though it was glued as there was no evidence of any dowels or screws.

I have seen Smith and Sweetman before and today I was reminded that it was less than impressive.

I too watched Smith and Sweetman this evening as I recorded it. Must say I too was a little dissapointed at the quality of the programe. Drawer runners completely glued into the rebates, Bread board edge on the writing table completely glued, Borad glue ups were shocking and the first set of dovetails he made were such a sloppy fit it was rocking! Personally if I were Mr Smith I think I would have throttled the Jamie Oliver clone by now too, Sweetman he ain't, doesn't he rabbit? Still it is nice of Dicovery to finally give us some woodworking programes even if they are like this. :D

Well sorry chaps, I'm going to be positive about Norm, back in 2004, stuck in the house whilst the kitchen fitters were doing there biz I became hooked on NYW, Iv'e worked in metal all my working life and had'nt even picked up a wood chisel, 4 years down the road and Iv'e built my own workshop, benches, drawers (dovetailed) kitted it out with power and hand tools and I can't wait to retire to use them all, mind you, thats 11 years away yet so I have plenty of time to practise and when I do retire, all the gear is already there, so in a nutshell, thanks Norm, you have inspired me.
Rich.

Back