Film cliches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greedo

Established Member
Reaction score
A few films recently have highlighted the following to me

In a school classroom scene and the teacher is giving out homework or assignments the bell goes and all the kids get up and just walk out with the teacher shouting what's to be done. - (if you done that at my school the teacher would have belted you and in all probability with his bare firsts and not the belt or cane in England )

No cops ever solve the crime till they have been suspended and said cop is a hard nosed, maverick, is divorced, drinks too much with a heart of gold who lives in a manky flat.

There's always a parking space

Barmen just pour drinks without asking for money and when the character leaves he just leafs through some notes in his pocket and throws them on the bar

No one says bye at the end of a phone call. They just hang up.

Greedo":253lmm4u said:

In a school classroom scene and the teacher is giving out homework or assignments the bell goes and all the kids get up and just walk out with the teacher shouting what's to be done. - (if you done that at my school the teacher would have belted you and in all probability with his bare firsts and not the belt or cane in England )

No cops ever solve the crime till they have been suspended and said cop is a hard nosed, maverick, is divorced, drinks too much with a heart of gold who lives in a manky flat.

Barmen just pour drinks without asking for money and when the character leaves he just leafs through some notes in his pocket and throws them on the bar

They're called "tropes":

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

BugBear

bugbear":3trfq9gm said:
Greedo":3trfq9gm said:

They're called "tropes":

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

BugBear

It was only meant to be a wee bit of fun and see what others came up with. No need to water on my chips lol

There's a lot in what you say Greedo, but that still doesn't stop me watching films with lots of Booms, Bangs and Bravado in them.
And, let's be fair, at times life can be a bit of a cliché . 8)

That's an interesting site BB. Thanks. :)

Greedo":1ybigcpn said:
And there are dead prostitutes. They are very popular. It's become a tasteless joke in our house - "what are you watching, another dead prostitute story" etc. Mouldering corpses also feature.
Perhaps it's age but I've gone off murder stories in a big way (whoever the victims) and I leave the room (or sit there muttering and complaining). My wife is keen on stuff like "The Killing" but I think they are appallingly dull, weird and unpleasant. Not to mention being all the same.
They are on every night more or less. Come Christmas and you can watch thousands being done in, through the day. For light relief try a death count if you find yourself having to sit through this stuff.

What you said Jacob reminds me of the surveys carried out on soap operas for fights, fires, accidents and deaths.

You'd think that people would avoid moving into places like Yorkshire where of 95 deaths over 40 years apparently 10 were murders. (Emmerdale) 11% Murder Rate.

Or in Coronation street where over 50 years 124 deaths and 16 murders give a 13% murder rate.

I do get that in the East End murder rates might be slightly higher but in the first 25 years of Eastenders there were 70 deaths and 16 murders a murder rate of 23%.

Considering the national rate of murder is usually around 0.032% it makes you wonder why people live in these places.

I think I might need to move to a nice, idyllic and safe location like .... Midsomer.

Benchwayze":2e1sbo0x said:
There's a lot in what you say Greedo, but that still doesn't stop me watching films with lots of Booms, Bangs and Bravado in them.
And, let's be fair, at times life can be a bit of a cliché . 8)

That's an interesting site BB. Thanks. :)

You can lose a fair bit of time there :)

BugBear

A bit late, but ...

I really hate it when the good guy, who has just managed to save his own life (/the innocent girl's life/ his friend's life/whatever/...) by shooting the bad guy, never seems to do the obvious thing ... "before you do anything else," I want to scream at him, "walk over and take his gun away - or put two more slugs in him just to be sure! What's the matter with you, are you stupid!"

baldpate":cnfg3rrj said:
A bit late, but ...

I really hate it when the good guy, who has just managed to save his own life (/the innocent girl's life/ his friend's life/whatever/...) by shooting the bad guy, never seems to do the obvious thing ... "before you do anything else," I want to scream at him, "walk over and take his gun away - or put two more slugs in him just to be sure! What's the matter with you, are you stupid!"

Like the ending of 'Fatal Attraction'? When Glen Close rises out of the water... etc!

You just know it's coming... :D

Apologies to anyone who might not have seen this film... (What planet are you on?)

Latest posts

Back