filling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickson71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've a filling problem this time

Right I'm making a cot in pine and I've got the two sides complete with a top and bottom rail and 15 rounded over slats per side all glued together.

overall I'm happy with the sides with the exception of one slat. The BAD slat has a knot on the rounded over edge which is starting to fall apart so it needs filling. Does anyone have any ideas of a suitable filler to use. I want to use a dark filler to maintain the look of a knot i.e not to noticeable.

I don't think I'll be able to use a glue and dust method as this is not a hole but a collapsed edge so it will have to be a putty type filler that can be sanded back the the same round over as the slat

Finally the whole cot will be satin varnished

anybody got any ideas or recommendations

thanks
Ian

Hi,
Can't you cut out slightly deeper than the round over and patch it with a good piece of pine?

Pete

Hi Ian,

Given that most fillers tend to be disappointing, I would (in order of preference):

1. Replace the slat. If that's not possible

2. Try to patch it with solid wood as Pete suggested

3. Use filler

Hope this is of some help :wink:

Paul

I'd go for a mahogany coloured epoxy wood filler, just fill it proud of the surface then sand to profile once set, usually about 30mins.

Jason

Latest posts

Back