Filler sanding dust + gas extraction - garage WS. Advice plz

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJHicks

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have 2 question areas... 1st being dust extraction 2nd is combustable air extraction.

I have been searching the forums in regards to extraction information and learning a lot but obviously the main focuses appear to be wood...

I have a movie props and replicas business in which i'm sculpting, molding, casting and painting.

I plan on using a hydroponics grow tent withing my garage to act as a sanding spray booth. At times of needing alot of air intake i can leave a door open on the booth etc aswell as several large filtered inlet pipes.

1. Dust.

While I may do some very small wood work such as cut 4 bits of would for mold walls or perhaps an infill on an item etc my main dust is either from sanding fibreglass resin or p38 filler (or similar)

I'm looking at the camvac range specifically the 36l or 55l 286-4" twin motor as this can be used for fine dust as well as some shop vac clean up.

I would have the exhaust ducted to help with the noise level. I may even have it housed in a cupboard.

I will be setting up a small ducting run so that i can have some extraction points for more tools such as multi tool and chop saw but never all run at once etc. It may be i have just one flexi hose over to the worktop and plug and play as i use different too etc to save on ducting and blanking plates etc.

2. Chemical/combustable extraction.

Working with fibreglass resin it would be nice to have an extraction system to help keep fumes away from me whilst items are drying... Looking at a shelf rack in the hydroponics tent and could seal it up and leave extraction fan on etc this is if i needed to still work in the garage.

Also looking at a spray booth/hood to draw the spray away from where im spraying etc... This would be custom made hood quite large with 0.5 filter fabric to start with then coning down (wood) to a fan and then down to 110 soil pipe and out.

Looked at centrifugal fans (i think thats right) but failed to find any small enough for a small booth environment. Would like new but all seem to be huge industrial car spraying etc extraction i'm looking at spray cans and airbrush kind of quality of spray etc.

I want to be safe of course and have seen many people use industrial fans with many years of use but i would still like to find a sealed unit fan safe for gases etc.

All this in mind quiet would be ideal i know extractors are noisy by nature but some are much better then others just wondering if quiter usually means less sucktion etc?

Price wise less would be ideal... I suppose looking at the camvacs my budgets about £250/300

As for the fan again cheap as possible (as always) but functional. It doesnt need to be huge just going to be a back of the table probably 60cm x 60cm hood. And thats can be coned down to any size fan.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice or links you can offer for either or both questions.

Dave

Latest posts

Back