Figure Piece advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pvt_Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
While out and about yesterday I managed to aquire this lump of wood, I am not 100% but it looks to be a section cut from an oak tree that was rotting from the inside out but still standing and alive.

Under the rotten wood the rest of the wood is good and solid feeling, so what I'd like to know is the best way to remove all the rotten wood and keep what is left, and how to finish it.

The moist rotten bits are hiving with woodlouse, i've managed to clear a fair bit away but there is still lots left.

if it was square it is ~40"x32"x1-5"

Attachments

• DSCF1005 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1005 (Custom).JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF1006 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1006 (Custom).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF1007 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1007 (Custom).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF1008 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1008 (Custom).JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF1009 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1009 (Custom).JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF1010 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1010 (Custom).JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 153
To be honest mate you're probably looking at introducing it to the woodburner, it'll be a swine to try and get any lengths of usable wood out and I doubt it will be worth the effort - based on what I can see anyway

If it was a piece of Walnut, or spalted Maple, etc., then it might be okay for drawer fronts or panels, in small jobs. But Oak, is readily available, and I too would be tempted to let the bugs have it back.
HTH

John

Pvt_Ryan":2cn1egxl said:
oh.. Damn.

I didn't really want to cut it up, I was thinking keeping it as is if possible but just cleaning it up, would that still be a waste of time?

Ryan
Yup. Sound words from the others - Rob

I found an old tree stump once, somewhere in Wales ISTR.

We bought it home because SWIMBO thought, that covered in mosses and small ferns, it would look good in the garden... You know the sort of thing.
It lasted about three years, looked okay, but eventually of course it just rotted away, and it ended up in the compost. On balance I ought to have left it where we found it! :)

John

Back