Fiddes wax polish over poly x?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommcdonald81

Reaction score
Hi recently made a 'vanity unit from oak sleepers. A sink will be placed on top so will likely encounter water fairly regularly. I've already treated the whole thing, first with poly x wood protector and then 2 coats of the poly x hardwax oil.

Question is can I then cover it with a coat or two of fiddes and sons wax polish stuff? Really just to improve the feel of it and second to maybe fill some of the tiny cracks and the join down the middle? Or should I use something else to fill the join? Table top consists of 2 large oak sleepers 1m length.

Cheers

Tommcdonald81":387tmgoy said:
Question is can I then cover it with a coat or two of fiddes and sons wax polish...to maybe fill some of the tiny cracks and the join down the middle?

Fill first, polish second. Besides which regular paste wax is a poor filler, it will shrink as it dries, attract grime, and generally look like coagulated snot. Osmo delivers a far better moisture barrier than paste wax, if you want to wax for added sheen then fair enough, just apply and buff the wax with brushes so that you get rid of all the surplus out of the cracks. You could mix up some lamp black and a dollop of gold size with the paste wax, but then you'll darken the whole job and it'll probably transfer onto towels. Basically the job's now done, it's either a success or it's not, but tinkering won't change things.

Latest posts

Back