Fibonacci guage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nev":29oce88m said:
whats one of them for then?

people that can't accurately estimate a ratio of 1.6180339887 : 1 on the fly............ #-o

Thanks for that. Sometimes its easier to just ask for what is needed than spend time looking on google and getting distracted. So as always on here there is always someone willing to help. And also room for sarcasm :roll:

OK. got the golden ratio bit. section 1 being 1.61 x section 2.
So as regards turning, one would be used for what? sections of spindle work? (getting the 'balance' right on eg candlesticks) H and W of vases/ pots / boxes etc?

nev":1euys02e said:
OK. got the golden ratio bit. section 1 being 1.61 x section 2.
So as regards turning, one would be used for what? sections of spindle work? (getting the 'balance' right on eg candlesticks) H and W of vases/ pots / boxes etc?

Pretty much what you guessed. I usually just estimate and go with the rule of thirds. Tends to be how I decide how large to make feet/bases on bowls/vases etc. and how to divide up height of a vase to give location of max. width, min width etc.
Usually gives pleasant looking shapes for just about anything but, as always, it's just a guide and you can, of course, get decent looking turnings withouth sticking to rules.

Unless one has a (perfectly reasonable) hankering after a thing of beauty, cocobolo and brass, I'd have though a ready-reckoner diagram would server pretty well.

golden.png

BugBear

Back