Festool Vacuum Rip Off!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan Tovey":3l9ssl8x said:
The rights and wrongs of this are irrelevent. It is illegal in the UK, if not in Germany. If it is proved that Festool has been acting in this fahion - and the evidence seems to be mounting - then they face swingeing fines.
You would find that the legislation amoingst all European countries is very alike about this.

TheDudester":3l9ssl8x said:
Personally, I have purchased a number of Festool products from a local dealer. In each case the in-store price is reduced by 20% and never a penny more. Once with an online supplier, I was given a larger discount. I had to pay the full amount so the invoice would show the correct price but I was given a 'refund' to make up the extra discount.
This resembles how serious this is. Festool (and a lot of other permium brands (not only tool)) determine that the reseller must make a 100 quid on a £ 500 product. If the reseller has lower cost (for instance internet only shop) they may not let the end user profit from this. If a reseller does want to offer a discount (for instance to clear some older stock) they may not. If they do they won't get supplied anymore.

This is (amonst other thing) what the OFT and the European Commissioner for Competition are abll about.

kmhphoto":5f2uk1mm said:
chippy1970":5f2uk1mm said:
At the end of the day all those people who think Festool's are too expensive should just look at the prices that they sell for secondhand on places like Ebay.

I am quiet confident that I could put my Festool stuff on Ebay and get a very good percentage of my money back if I wanted to not that I would :lol: , not sure I could do that with any other brand.

I wouldnt want to work with out them now ie today I was fitting some 20mm Walnut worktops to some vanity units I built for a client. To scribe them in I used my TS55 saw and rails and my Festool planer to trim the wavey bits. The saw cuts perfectly with no splintering across the grain and it takes seconds to set up and all that with hardly any dust because of the excellent extraction.

I agree that most of the Festool range is extremely good. I have several including drills, saws, routers domino etc. which is why I encouraged my brother-in-law to look at the range when he was looking for an M Class vacuum.
I do find it amusing how many people have such deep down brand loyalty that they refuse to accept that Festool don't always get it right.
The new and "improved" MFT is now more expensive and smaller than the old model.
There's a thread on FestooOwnersGroup about the new table. Festool provide a video which shows how effective the stabilising braces are for it. At the start of the video the demonstrator gently touches the table. It wobbles and rocks back and forth. He attaches the braces and it's much more stable. Problem is, the braces are a £50 extra!

I hope that was not directed at me, the bit about brand loyalty and refusing to accept when Festool get it wrong.

I buy lots of other brand tools and I am not one of those Festool collectors I use my tools for a living and I like to have the best when I can afford it.

I buy Bosch when it comes to jigsaws, Makita for cordless drills etc, Metabo 450 sander not the more expensive with less functional Festool sander.

The list goes on I buy from lots of different manufacturers I wouldn't blindly buy just Festool like some people.

chippy1970":1ooahjuq said:
I hope that was not directed at me, the bit about brand loyalty and refusing to accept when Festool get it wrong.

No! most certainly not and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

just to make it clear i am english and i have been commenting about fixed prices in the uk for desirable premium goods whatever. as stated germany is in the eu so it has the sames selling rules as the uk. but fixed pricing happens here. i have lived in other countries and it happens there. i dont condone it i just think it is normal for certain 'desirable' goods. i actually think its more to do with economic equilibrium than price fixing by wholesalers or retailers. hey but i am no economist, economist enters right stage :D

havent got a clue but i guess its comparable to the uk. the only thing is there are certainly less poor and perhaps less super rich but a huge middle class. so i guess there are more people with relatively a lot of money to spend. compared to us, many more have a good life. whats not so good is the astronomical employment costs.

So it's not like the UK then 60% less than 16k a year,20% 40k+ 10% 100k+ and ....10% 1,000,000+ a year! :lol: :lol:

track821ok":2krnwu2b said:
My understanding is warranty cards for Festool are scrutinised to ensure no discount has been given - if any discount is found to have been given, then the retailer will have his net cost increased. Festool also have their own '3 strike and out system' from what I have been told (first hand)

This is exactly the same reason given to me as to why i couldnt "get a few quid off" and is how festool ensure that no discount is given on their tools.
Gary.

below are figures for wealth distribution, below that are figures for savings. :shock:

single

47,1% 1€ to 20.459 Euro
47,4% 20.459 to 52.293 Euro
4,6% 52.293 to 122.724 Euro
0,5% 122.724 to 245.423 Euro
0,3% 245.423 Euro und mehr

couples

57,8% 1€ to 40.918 Euro
38,0% 20.459 to 104.586 Euro
3,3% 52.293 to 245.449 Euro
0,5% 122.724 to 490.846 Euro
0,3% 490.846 Euro und mehr

average saving per person 60k, seen figures as high as 100k

germans save an average of 10% of there wage.

aurrida":1yefldq1 said:

10% is generally recognised as the figure you should try and save of any income you receive.

Regards

D

TheDudester":1zshz0ig said:
aurrida":1zshz0ig said:

10% is generally recognised as the figure you should try and save of any income you receive.

Regards

D

Wheras in actual fact a large proportion of the UK population probably spend 10% of their income on interest on their credit card debt!

Sony got caught out by a Watchdog (or similar) reporter telling a discounting tv dealer to stop or loose the dealership.

Festool stuff is extrememly good, but for a fairer cost comparison, lookat US prices. Even there they appear to control prices as (a) you pay festool direct not the dealer and (b) you have to have a credit card on a US bank.

Back