Festool TS55 Replacment Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a festool ts55 saw which I am very happy with however the replacement blades cost between £40 and £50 each.

I recently spotted Tornado blades at Rutlands especially for the TS55, same kerf etc. They are on offer at £17.55

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-too.../160mm-dia-x-48teeth-x-20mm-bore-x-2.2mm-kerf

Does anyone have experience of these blades or the Blue Tornado brand?

Also can I get my old festool blade re-sharpenned?

Thanks
MrD

MrD":nm57yutz said:
Does anyone have experience of these blades or the Blue Tornado brand?
No

MrD":nm57yutz said:
Also can I get my old festool blade re-sharpenned?
Yes

Another option are these blades on ebay - £25 for 3. I've got some and they seem to do the job.

Steve

I cant say anything about the cheaper blades as I have not used them on my TS55 but I would stick with the Festool blades myself as they are incredible quality. I have only just had my 48 tooth blade sharpened for the first time since I bought the saw back in 2007 and it has been used on miles of mdf and trimmiing hardwood doors etc etc.

Try posting on www.festoolownersgroup.com someone there will know about them.

Thanks promhandicam, they do look a cheap option!

chippy1970, I will need to re-think now. I am on my 2nd blade, the first lasted only 10 or so diy projects.

I was having to really push the saw and getting burning smells. At first I thought the saw was out of line and contacted festool. I tried adjusting the toe on the blade but still no luck so I bought a 2nd blade and all was well again.

After some thought I just assumed I had trashed the blade because I used it to cut a load of laminate flooring. I know how quickly that blunts hand saws.

I may try and find where to get my first blade re-sharpened (off to search these forums on that now)

Thanks

I use Trend Craft blades, easily as good as the genuine items. The only thing to note is that they have a slightly thinner kerf so you have to replace the chipguards when you change over. I think I pay about £16.
My saw doctor sharpens the originals for about £8, you can have them sharpened about 3 times.

Laminate flooring will knacker any blade so best to use cheap ones. You can always put some masking tape over the finished side to stop any breakout. After having killed a couple of (mitre) saw blades cutting laminate flooring, I now use a jigsaw which works just as well and a lot cheaper to replace.

If you edit your profile to let people know where you are based someone might be able to recommend a good saw doctor who could sharpen the blade for you.

Steve

Thanks again guys.

I am in West Yorkshire (I have updated my profile) so if anyone knows a saw doctor locally it would be most appreciated.

Try your local (decent) tool shop - if they don't offer a sharpening service themselves, they'll probably know someone who does. I have some of the cheap eBay blades (other stuff on his website too at www.fittersworld.co.uk) and don't rate them that highly, personally; OK for rough stuff, but not as good as the Festool blade - and at 1/8th the price, I wouldn't expect them to be! The kerf is also slightly different (2.5 vs 2.2mm) which is irritating.

I pay £12 now (just gone up from £8 ) for a 48-tooth blade to be sharpened; I have three on the go, but they're all heading towards their final third sharpen, so I might give the Rutlands one a try and see how it goes.

One thing I have noticed is that with each successive sharpen, the blades get slightly smaller, so if you need to set the depth of cut accurately it can involve a bit of experimentation.

HTH, Pete

Mine cost about £10 (48 tooth) here in London at my local dealer who sends them away.

I never use anything decent if cutting laminate flooring I found that out years ago, I had a brand new blade in my chopsaw and it killed it doing one small floor :x . the coating they put on laminate flooring is aluminium oxide as far as I know the same as on abrasive paper.

Back