Festool sale at Rutlands - mainly 110V!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apologies for delay but the festive cheer drew me away......

It was this site that made me think about US tools so I bought a few Porter Cable routers secondhand on Ebay + a small plunge saw when I was there a few months back. Have to say I am very happy that they work superbly and my bags might be very heavy the next time I return.

Happy Xmas people

Interesting to know that US 110v tools will work ok with a transformer as on another site (no, not that one) several 'experts' insisted they wouldn't because of the frequency or summat. So I might well give it a go. Ta.

Those site 110v transformers work fine. Just check the max current rating as they vary a bit...as does the weight accordingly!!!

When Spring comes around you can almost guarantee getting one at a bootfair....I got a double socket one for a tenner. It powers a large 1/2" Makita router perfectly.....

Jim

Just one minor point - I really like the bayonet style plug-it cords that the Festools come with - makes swapping tools very easy - I have the vac hose and one cord held together with some clips from Axminster and just plug both into the tool I'm using. If you mix 110 and 240 volt machines you can't do this :(.
Cheers,
Gidon

I use 110v tools. The only downside of them is carrying a transformer (the yellow box) and extension leads onto jobs, much more bulky than 240v and no transformer. But I assume for most people on here that's not an issue in the workshop.
In my workshop I have a large, heavy 'proper trade' 5kv transformer which never moves from there and that's big enough to run multiple machines at the same time. I've seen them at tool fairs etc 2nd hand for around £50 to £100. I use smaller ones for out and about stuff.
As has been said you can buy new chinese 3KV transformers for under £50 now and they're lighter than the old ones ones (although doubt they'll last as long as the heavier European made ones).

If you've not used 110v stuff There are upsides to it;
they're safer than 240v if you get shocked which is why they are mandatory on building sites. (although modern trip switches on 240v have lessened the dangers).
the yellow extension leads tend to take more hammer and last well.
And, more noticeable than you think, the sockets and plugs (round yellow ones) don't burn out as much, no plug fuse to blow and they're so tough they rarely break even when thrown about or stood on.

I'd say 90% of my stuff is 110v, it's a good system and I'd recommend it to you for workshop use.

Peter

Oh and I forgot to say Happy Christmas :ho2

Latest posts

Back