Festool routers which to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_E

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm looking at a new router have a dewalt 1/2 atm but it's abit tired now tbh and doesn't owe me any thing any more so looking for an upgrade. I also have a 1/4 makita palm router atm.

Out of the two which would you go for and why?

Festool OF1400EBQPLUS Festool 1/2" Shank Router

Or

Festool OF1010EBQPLUS Festool 1/4" Shank Router

It's main use will be for kitchens worktops etc

Cheers

Alex

Festool OF1010EBQPLUS Festool 1/4" Shank Router

Is at it says 1/4 collet not much good for worktops.

1400 is a good machine, I use the 2200 for kitchen worktops, nice and heavy.

I'm pretty much sure on the 1400 just wanted to hear other peoples opinions just incase. The 2200 is a lot more though that's the only issue with that!

I have had and still own a number of routers, I have had an ELU MOF177E (great machine but I leant it to a friend and he goosed it), Dewalt DW624 (replaced the ELU) not as good and that was when DeWalt were part of the ELU, DeWalt, B&D Group. I still have a Dewalt DW620 (single speed, only use it on the Leigh Jig, Elu MOF96E (Brilliant and also used on the Leigh), a Ryobi ERT1400 RV (I like it but it has not got good press), a Triton TRA001 in a router table (very good and great for bit changing) and my latest acquisition a Festool OF1400.

Using the OF1400 has been a revelation, it does take a little getting used to, but, using it on a track using the guide stop to plough out Dados, so very accurate its untrue, even using it for standard routing tasks like rounding over edges it seems so much easier than with other routers I have had. I use the supplied bars with the guide stop off the track just to give me a bigger surface area when edging. It is an expensive bit of kit compared to other routers, but, if I could only keep one out of all my current routers the Festool it would be by a long shot. The only downside I have found with it so far is that if you use the dust extraction (which is very good by the way) it does quite seriously limit your visibility of the actual cut.

Thanks for that ed bray! I'm going to buy it with the dust extractor as well. Any clues on which to go for? Was looking at the Festool 584163? Cheers. Alex

I've got the OF 1010 which as has already been said isn't suitable for kitchen worktops although it is a great router all the same (dust extraction is exceptional in use).
But you might want to consider getting a Festool track (if you don't already have one) when you purchase your OF 1400 as it will open up even more possibilities to you.

Alex_E":twjcliir said:
Thanks for that ed bray! I'm going to buy it with the dust extractor as well. Any clues on which to go for? Was looking at the Festool 584163? Cheers. Alex

That midi is the 110v version, if you get that you will need to get the 110v router too.

All the Festool extractors have the same power, the only difference between them is the size of the collection chamber and the type of accessories they can use (with the exception of the Auto Clean versions which are primarily for sanding plaster).

Many people have the midi and if you are going to use it onsite then it is a good choice, I have a CT26 which I am very pleased with, the advantage of the CT26 over the midi is that it can take a boom arm (routing and track saw use are improved by using this).

Yer I no that. A fair bit of my other stuff is 110v so thought it would be a good choice? Means if I ever go on site which I doubt I can use it?

Think I will get that extract that I posted up then.

Need to buy a track too! :/

If you get the 1400, may be worth ordering a spare (or 2) dust extract adapter, plastic part that clips in around the cutter, I keep breaking mine, and different sized collets, not sure what it comes with now.

Also If buying a track, look at the LR32 option.

Also note that the standard kit doesn't come with a fence dust extractor adapter. It's on the pic in the systainer but it's an option not standard issue these days.

I concur with others up there ^, I have the 1010 and the 1400 and although I prefer to use the 1010 when I can, the 1400 would be the most obvious choice in your situation.

I would get the track adapter as well to use it with the rods to give more surface area as Ed Bray points out - this makes a huge difference to stability and almost makes it fool proof.

The balance of the 1400 takes some getting used to but its worth it.

Think I'm going to purchase the ts55 saw with 2 1400 rails and clamps the 1400 router and the dust extractor. Any other things I should look to get to start met off?

Cheers for all the help!

Alex

Alex_E":16ur91l4 said:
Think I'm going to purchase the ts55 saw with 2 1400 rails and clamps the 1400 router and the dust extractor. Any other things I should look to get to start met off?

Cheers for all the help!

Alex
If you are buying the kit, it may be worth seeing if you can swap one or both of the 1400 guide rails for 1400 LR32 Holy Rails, they are more expensive (over here, apparently in the US they are the same price) but I wish I had done that. I was advised to but never thought I would ever buy a Festool router so decided to save the money for other Festool goodies. Now I am looking to by a 'Holy Rail' as the LR32 system is very useful.

If you are buying from N&B (powertool-supplies.com) it may be worth asking Matt if he can do a deal to swap out the 1400/2 rails for 1400/2 LR32 with you paying the difference, it may save you money in the long run.

Any other things I should look to get to start met off?

A pair of rail connecters and personally I wouldn't be without my MFT top (top only, not the whole MFT table) and a pair of the parf dogs (long and short versions).

I'm looking at buying it from tool save? It's local to me and seems to be the best price by far?

What's the different in the rails? And also it does come with the connectors.

Cheers for all the help!

With the LR32 rails (have holes in them) and kit you can make your own MFT top.

If buying 2 rails ask if they are included, no use otherwise, some, good dealers will package things like these in the deal.

Alex_E":1x6ajdi2 said:
I'm looking at buying it from tool save? It's local to me and seems to be the best price by far?

What's the different in the rails? And also it does come with the connectors.

Cheers for all the help!

Hardly the best prices.

TS-55 Toolsave £329 N&B £317
OF1400 Toolsave £417 N&B £404
CT Midi Toolsave £259 N&B £258

But if they are close and it's all in stock then maybe worth the extra to you, however N&B deliver next day free if over £90 almost everything is in stock (apart from odd parts or spares).

In case you didn't know it's Festool's 90th Birthday this year so it may be worth trying to get the systainers with the 90 year logo (and means it is the latest stock).

The LR32 System uses the holes in the track as a notched guide, it may prove useful to you, it may not but worth considering if you have the choice.

Well it's all ordered :) £1200 lighter now though :( but hay it's happy festool day tomorrow! :) worse than a kid at Xmas :)

Thanks for all the help :)

Alex

Well there's been some major mess ups by n and b. but the router arrived yesterday! With nothing else? And the rest is now coming tomorrow. But should of been here with the router then it was meant to be here today but now it's coming tomorrow!! :)

Alex_E":110mz2rh said:
Well there's been some major mess ups by n and b. but the router arrived yesterday! With nothing else? And the rest is now coming tomorrow. But should of been here with the router then it was meant to be here today but now it's coming tomorrow!! :)
Unusual :(

I've spent thousands with N&B and never had one problem.

It's all ok though as I ended up paying a little extra and having the 26ltr extractor. After using all the festool gear all day today I must say I'm mega impressed! And wish I had brought it sooner!! :(

Back