Festool OF 1400 - Info Needed Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu_2

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Evening All

My OF 1400 arrived today from FFX, and it appears to be incomplete.

I'd appreciate any info from owners as to exactly what came with theirs, please.

I can also hear the springs scraping during the plunge action. Is that normal when they're new? Can post video clip if that helps.

Cheers
Stu

Lets see if I can guess what was missing.
Was it the sub fence dust collector ?

I brought the OF 1400 at last years Kempton Park show and it was missing the square plastic dust collector. I was stopping there overnight and the Festool team were in the same hotel so I spoke to them and they said it was now an extra. I pointed out that I was told by him that everything was included so I was sent one within a day or two.

Yep, that's it. And it seems the 8mm collet is missing. I had a look at Peter Parfitt's review on YouTube. What collets came with yours? Also, did the springs make a noise when plunged?

Cheers

OK. I have a half inch collet on the router and a separate quarter inch with built in lock nut that would replace the whole collet/nut assembly.

The springs do make a 'strange' noise when plunged but it is not a troubling sound in any way.

Same here, took delivery of a 1400 couple of weeks back from N&B, of which they confirmed the fence extractor wasn't included.

The thing that confuses me is that the Festool part number 492585 that they advise is needed to complete the router doesn't actually look like the part that fits in the fence.

I'm a bit miffed too, I bought the 1400 due to the dust collection properties, to be expected to pay another £40+ for this is a bit rubbish IMO.

Thanks gents. I checked the scope if delivery and I do have the correct accessories. Shame they decided to dumb it down by removing the dust hood and additional collet. Not overly fussed about not having the 8mm collet, but very disappointed about the dust hood. Seems a bit mean in the grand scheme of things, for a premium tool.

Seems like a bit of spring noise is normal then, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Stu

Stu_2":15rp6njg said:
Seems a bit mean in the grand scheme of things, for a premium tool.

Cheers
Stu

You should see the big 2200 router it costs £800 and doesn't even come with a fence lol. You have to buy an accessory set with it.

As far as I know the 1400 never came with an 8mm collet , it's always been a 1/2" and 1/4" . The of1010 comes with 1/4" and 8mm.

Regards the dust hood I know they did have a change a few years back, of what came with it.

You will love the dust collection if it's anything like my 1010. With the edging dust hood attachment it gets almost everything.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks Chippy

Looks like it must have changed about a year ago, having watched the Peter Parfitt review from Xmas last year, as he had all the extras included.

Know what you mean about the 2200. It made me laugh, as well as stopping me ever buying one. If I need anything that big, I'll just pick up one of the big basic Hitachi machines for around £170.

Cheers
Stu

My dewalt does me, I've got the biggest the 626 not quite as refined as a festool but good enough

I've got the OF1010 as well and have to say I prefer it to the OF1400 so far.

The only reason for buying the 1400 was the 1/2" capacity and the ability to use the rails (and the silly price they sell for now).

But even the festal staff don't seem to know what is or isn't with it, There was one with the demo model at the D&M show and the person showing it said all the dust collecting accessories were included. That is after all what the 1400 is all about.

The festool Germany chief exec was there watching but that is another story :)

Stu_2":1yatnfsp said:
Grahamshed":1yatnfsp said:

What happened? Did it go wrong on the day?
Not really. They were demo'ing to myself and another guy how good the 1400 was for rounding over edges and such like and then handed the router over to each of us in turn so we could see for ourself.....
Those of you familiar with the 1400 will know that it has a 'normal' knob type handle on one side and a proper handle on the other. This is good for many things and when edging the natural instinct would be to have this proper handle over the workpiece to provide better balance.
Both of us did this then realised it was impossible because of the way the bars hold the fence on. Both of us, at the same time, said 'it needs a second set of holes going the other way.
The (unknown to us) chief exec pursed his lips and nodded before walking away. the staff told us who he was.
So maybe, just maybe, future versions will have two sets of holes in the base :)

Grahamshed":3g2pftvv said:
But even the festal staff don't seem to know what is or isn't with it, There was one with the demo model at the D&M show and the person showing it said all the dust collecting accessories were included. That is after all what the 1400 is all about.

I spoke to him that day at the show. Didn't know who he was at the time now I know it's Christian oltzscher.

I may have even been there when you were demoed the 1400

Stu_2":16bbaq7q said:
Great. Now I've bought mine, they'll no doubt release the new model next month :D

No there won't be a new one for a long time yet

I have just bought one from Axminster and it come with 1/2 and 1/4 inch collets, plastic dust extraction hood and a chip deflector for under the base.
I originally ordered a Dewalt 626 but the depth gauge locking knob broke the first time I used it. Changed it for the Festool 1400. Must say that I am really pleased with it.

Mick

Used mine a fair bit over the last few days and very pleased. Dust extraction is excellent. Loving the ease with which the dust extractor can be removed and replaced within seconds.

My only criticism is that when using it with the rail attachment, I think it's the wrong way round. The back of the router is facing you, making it awkward to adjust the depth.

Stu_2":218a2oxs said:
Used mine a fair bit over the last few days and very pleased. Dust extraction is excellent. Loving the ease with which the dust extractor can be removed and replaced within seconds.

My only criticism is that when using it with the rail attachment, I think it's the wrong way round. The back of the router is facing you, making it awkward to adjust the depth.
Yes, similar to doing the edging I discussed above. It needs a second set of rail holes at 90 degrees to the base.

Latest posts

Back