Startrite bandsaw - very old - advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samej1987

Established Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to pick up this bandsaw from facebook marketplace but i need a bit of help with it and have a number of questions.

RJrJK91.jpg

All of the photos are here: https://imgur.com/a/6e751PW

First and most important, i am not sure the blade guide is all there. What is there slides and turns well etc but i was expecting a bearing or something similar to support the back of the blade. It appears to have worn its way into the sliding block behind and i doubt that is normal.

BRPmBLW.jpg

*edit* the piece i am holding in the photo was found under the bandsaw when i collected. Owner said he didnt know what it was from and i took it just i case. Could be a red herring.

My second question is does anyone know exactly what this bandsaw actually is? I saw a very similar one posted a couple of years ago talking about this being an import from italy that was then badged here. Theirs was part of 'a-range' from startrite. The serial number of this is B355 so im wondering if this is b-range?

As you can see from the photos the wheels say startrite and the startet switch is cast with 'made in england' on it. The motor is also a brook crompton so all of this would have had to be added to the italian import? Or this was actually made by startrite?

It is largely in excellent condition and all i really want to do is give it an oily rag, set up the blade correctly and go to work. I dont want the blade guide to be unsafe or incomplete etc.

Lastly someone has re-wired the switch to have a long blue flex cable on it. They have earthed this to the outside of the switch casing which seems ok, however they haven't done anything with the earth coming from the motor. Where would this be best earthed?

Thank you for any help you can give.

There should be a rotating disc as a back bearing, mounted to that allen bolt above the right hand cool block.

The motor needs to be earthed to the frame, but if it is bolted steel to steel its not an issue. If its on any kind of rubber or insulating bush it needs its own earth.
Cant help with the rest.

Startrite must've been one of the most prolific manufacturers of bandsaws in the world, there were so many different models for so many different applications over the years. Two-wheelers, three-wheelers, four-wheelers, vertical saws, horizontal saws, wood-cutting, metal-cutting, tiny saws, massive saws... they did them all.

I don't think I've seen one like yours though, I've seen similar small three-wheeler machines but not a two-wheeler like that. Looks like a very well built little machine though.

I would wager you'd need a bearing of some kind behind that cap head screw like Bob said, perhaps you could measure the shaft diameter and buy a bearing for it from somewhere? You'll need a new blade too, I would imagine that one's wrecked if it's been run without the rear bearing in place and the teeth have made contact with the side blocks.

Thank you Sunny and Trevanion,

The motor is bolted directly to the body of the machine, all metal to metal so i was assuming this would be ok.

Thank you for the advice on the bearing. Can i check that i should be aiming for the blade to push against the face of the outer race? I can measure the spindle size to get the ID but need to figure out the OD.

I will also get some blades, thanks.

That rear bearing would have been just a large flat disc, rotating on the bolt. very similar to the big record power bandsaws.
Even though the side blocks arent too tough, the best way to set the blade up is for the side bearing to guide just over half the blade if no wood is being cut. The rear bearing is set so that it is free untill the blade is pushed back by the wood (or hand when adjusting (POWER DISCONNECTED :shock: ). The blade should only hit the rear bearing just before the teeth get squeezed by the side guides.

P5020962.jpg

Attachments

• P5020962.jpg
    P5020962.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 491
  • P5020963.jpg
    P5020963.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 210
Hi Miles, thank you for this it is extremely helpful. I think the 'spare' piece is actually the bearing. I just dont seem to have the almost flat plate behind the bearing. I am expecting to get the whole guide block re-assembled tomorrow (its all clean and in bits right now). Fingers crossed its all there.

Hi Samej,
You're lucky to get it. It's one of the nicest small bandsaws and yours looks in good condition too.
The knurled knob at the back controls the small amount of sideways adjustment to the position of the roller.
I posted some sales literature on the other thread: post1224731.html#p1224731

sunnybob":1o99n8nc said:
That rear bearing would have been just a large flat disc, rotating on the bolt. very similar to the big record power bandsaws.
Even though the side blocks arent too tough, the best way to set the blade up is for the side bearing to guide just over half the blade if no wood is being cut. The rear bearing is set so that it is free untill the blade is pushed back by the wood (or hand when adjusting (POWER DISCONNECTED :shock: ). The blade should only hit the rear bearing just before the teeth get squeezed by the side guides.

Wrong. Not all of them had the rotating bearing as you suggest. The early Startrites had a very simple steel bar that the back of the blade bore against. It's exactly what is on my elderly Startrite. Crude but effective.. Can spark a bit when in use !

Here's a photo of my Startrite guides/blocks.

the one bit I have no idea what it's for is that serrated roller you can see. It's set well back from the blade and not adjustable. Just spins round.

Roger,

On my 352 that serrated knob carries the blade guard. It has to be removed to change the blade

Attachments

• Bandsaw (Medium).jpg
    Bandsaw (Medium).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 134
Hi All
This is all very new to me but it's the only place I've found any information on very old floor standing startrite bandsaw, it's very much like the one Samej1987 posted but floor stand, but I don't know the model. Needs some TLC, but does run... any idea where I can find out more info, what price range I should ask for and best place to sell (uk)? Many thanks

Hi All
Some pictures but to heavy to move sorry

Attachments

• 20220226_105314.jpg
    20220226_105314.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220226_105419.jpg
    20220226_105419.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220226_105223.jpg
    20220226_105223.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220226_105441.jpg
    20220226_105441.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220226_105457.jpg
    20220226_105457.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220226_105541.jpg
    20220226_105541.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220226_105642.jpg
    20220226_105642.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220226_105829.jpg
    20220226_105829.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220226_105913.jpg
    20220226_105913.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220226_105936.jpg
    20220226_105936.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 6
Your bandsaw almost certainly dates back to around the late 50's early 60's, Some Startrite bandsaws used a plain steel pin as a thrust block even late production ones, but they can & do throw sparks & are noisy in use.

Back