Festool itch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’ve already bought your first item, you already sunk. You’ll get the lot in the end, so you might just as well get it all now,

Im on a slippery slope, i started with the Domino and TS55, now got Rotex coming and extractor and a HOODIE 🤦‍♂️ im doomed. The problem (or not a problem however you choose to look at it) is i am moving to Canada and Festool is around £100-200 cheaper across all machines here compared to there so im busy buying all the stuff (in 110v) that i "definitely" will have a need for in the future.

The only Festool item I own is the Domino 700 and that will be the last. It was a case of it is the only tool that does what it does and therefore no competition and they can get away with high cost without delivering on a comparable level of quality. Festool is just the Apple of the woodworking world, you are buying into an over rated brand that has a blind following. If you want to spend a lot of money then look at Mafell otherwise there are other very good brands that will not cost you a fortune and deliver the results.

The only Festool item I own is the Domino 700 and that will be the last. It was a case of it is the only tool that does what it does and therefore no competition and they can get away with high cost without delivering on a comparable level of quality. Festool is just the Apple of the woodworking world, you are buying into an over rated brand that has a blind following. If you want to spend a lot of money then look at Mafell otherwise there are other very good brands that will not cost you a fortune and deliver the results.
Thanks for the reassurance 😂 I guess you are right, ive gone for the Rotex as it also is unique and meets the needs that my other sanders do not, maybe Mirka is comparable but then thats even more expensive and in several head to head reviews, not as good. I have been using a Festo track saw which is from the 90s so im happy to pay for something that will last me. But i do suspect you are right, theres a fair bit down to branding but hey if it makes us feel good then?

edit. One other thing which I think many Festool bashers overlook is the all inclusive 3 year warranty that Festool offer. It seems to be unparalleled and certainly isnt matched by lower price point tool manufacturers. If the tool is used extensively theres a fair chance the warranty will be needed.

Last edited:
is the all inclusive 3 year warranty
I can say that having used many Bosch, Mikita and Dewalt products over the last fourty plus years that none have let me done, warranty was not required. If they are so good then why such a warranty? They have really good marketing that spins a web that catches the unwary, often you can find products as good for less, an example for me was the small milwaukee 4 in 1 which is much better than the festool option, which apparently uses a battery specific to that tool only.

Thanks for the reassurance 😂 I guess you are right, ive gone for the Rotex as it also is unique and meets the needs that my other sanders do not, maybe Mirka is comparable but then thats even more expensive and in several head to head reviews, not as good. I have been using a Festo track saw which is from the 90s so im happy to pay for something that will last me. But i do suspect you are right, theres a fair bit down to branding but hey if it makes us feel good then?

edit. One other thing which I think many Festool bashers overlook is the all inclusive 3 year warranty that Festool offer. It seems to be unparalleled and certainly isnt matched by lower price point tool manufacturers. If the tool is used extensively theres a fair chance the warranty will be needed.

I am not a Festool basher but the 3 year warranty just brings them in in line with the Parkside tools from Lidl and is hardly a selling point.

One other thing which I think many Festool bashers overlook is the all inclusive 3 year warranty that Festool offer.
They also seem blissfully unaware of the theft replacement cover. Not a big thing for workshop or home users but a massive plus for guys like me. My boss had his van broken into a few months back - the 2 year old CTL36M vacuum, TS55R and almost 3 year old Kapex are covered and have been replaced (at a cost of £110 + VAT per item excess) - the brand new deWalt 1st fix nailer kit and the 6 month old Paslode 2nd fix gun weren't covered and van insurance generally doesn't cover you all that well

I'm sort of half hooked. I have a TS55, a TS75, two Dominos, the OF2200e router as well as the OF1000 and I have a Kapex KS120. My extractors are Metabo (Starmix) and my jigsaws are Mafell and Bosch. But I admit that the green Kool Ade tastes good...

... Run while you still can, OP!

Last edited:
enjoy the Festool itch, I discovered it about 10 years ago and it is when the hobby took off for me in multiple directions, not just Festool power tools but antique and hand tool work also. The Festool 'group' is also much larger than we think including the likes of Tanos, Sawstop and Narex.

Phil,...Are you in all seriousness suggesting a direct comparison between Parkside and Festool...?

I've always thought of myself as having a good sense of humour but ........

No, of course not. :) But I do know people who use Aldi, Lidl, Power Devil etc. tools at work - they have no value, so don't get stolen, and just get priced into jobs - if the tool lasts a few weeks, fine.
That's exactly the issue with cheap tools. For the odd weekend DIY house job for 90% of the population they make sense, but for professionals just using them for 1 or 2 jobs till they break is wasteful and optimises the "throway generation". Why not spend more on genuine quality that will last you a 1000 more jobs. It will be cheaper than going to Lidl and replacing what you can every year. It's what I call penny wise, pound thick. Save a few pennies but end up spending more over time while wasting resources.

Latest posts

Back