Festool guide rails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the best Lubricant is to put on Festool guide rails is.

I spotted the table top lubricant at Rutlands I suppose that would work but I wondered what you all use and dont say KY :lol: :lol: :lol: .

chipp why do you think it needs lubricating???

being serious surely festo would sell something if they recommended it????

paul :wink:

If you lubricate with something it will acquire dirt make a nice grinding paste and wear the tracks quicker than anything. I would just rely on a good clean if dirt starts to build up causing sticking, same as curtain tracks, amazing how much better they work after a good clean.

Alan

I see what your saying but I had seen somewhere someone had sprayed the rails with lube, might have been woodshopdemos the usa site.

unless you use one of the dry lubes that do not contain silicone, cannot see the value, even that will pick up gunge.

paul :wink:

Evening,
I've used my rails fairly regularly for 2 years and have never thought about any lubrication. Before putting them away, I clean the tracks on the rails and underside of saw and always been fine.
BTW, what makes you think you need lubrication?

Colin

I spray my guide rails with Teflon (PTFE) spray. Works a treat. Doesn't really get gunged up either. You just need to wipe the sawdust off with a tissue every now and again. It really helps the saw slide along nice and smooth without binding.

Hmmm I think you have indeed answered your own post, I see no great problem with the approach shown, it pretty much fits with the previous answers. I can't see a chippie/joiner in the real world faffing like this but...who knows? to be honest as soon as the already slippery material shows sign of sticking a cleaning with a warm damp cloth will sort it, the same as a snooker cue.

Alan

Woody Alan":1tsyv2i7 said:
...I can't see a chippie/joiner in the real world faffing like this but...who knows? ...
I don't live in the real world, I live in Holland! I don't think any "faffing" is involved though, it takes about five seconds to spray a little PTFE and then wipe it down the guide rail. It does actually help. Try it!

Fair enough... but I bet you're in the minority of festool owners
:) as well as being in Holland:) but more seriously when I say faffing I mean putting in the miniscule amount of effort (which you quite correctly point out is no effort) most owners don't do and still mange to use the tool happily.
Alan

I use a product called Dyna-Glide on most of my kit including the Festool guide rails. It came recommended for use on the Legacy mill where its quite essential what with all its cogs and gears. I was impressed with the difference it made to the smooth use of the Legacy so I squirted it on all my machinery including the Festool guide rails. It does make a surprising difference difference to the smoothness of running the the saw on the guide rails so I would also recommend giving them a squirt with this product or something similar.

Back