Festool FS-PA and FS-PA-VL 90 deg guide rail clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondablade

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I've had a Festool TS 55 circular saw and guide rail set for quite a few years, and am a big fan of the system - albeit that my new Hammer K3 panel saw hopefully means it will see much less regular use.

Browsing today i tripped over these add on 90deg clamping rails that fit on the main guide rail system - they basically allow you to to clamp it to a rectangular piece of sheet, and have a calibrated stop system for repeatable width cuts:

http://www.festool.co.uk/artikel/artike ... cfm?id=976

It needs proper thinking about, but there may be other uses for it as well, maybe even to help set up parallel rips off the sliding table on the panel saw.

Has anybody got any experience with it? Wonder if the dimension settings are accurate?

ian

wish i'd known about these before, would of saved me loads of time over the last few years sizing boards. (i have also just bought a table saw tho, so should reduce the use of the rail saw by some amount)

would also be interested to hear what interesting uses people have found for them

luke

Never used them (only introduced this year, btw) but supposed to be very accurate and can also be calibrated by the user. Pricey though (surprise...)

There's a detailed tutorial (PDF) by Jerry Work here.

HTH, Pete

And looks like you need two MFTs to use it!!
Would be nice though ... Have a look on FOG- I'm sure there'll be lots of comments on it if no one has it here.
Cheers
Gidon

Ta guys. The newness i guess explains why it's not been around. Surprised that Festool don't seem to have been pushing it, as it looks like it has the ability to significantly raise the usefulness of the rail system.

Think you get two of the 90 deg clamping rails in the set, but that ideally you need the two short guys with the trough for blade clearance as well to be able to cut from both sides.

Have printed off that tutorial and will have a swot...

ian

ondablade":2o9y29xt said:
Surprised that Festool don't seem to have been pushing it,

They dont really push anything I dont suppose they have to. It is a great addition to the rails saves a lot of time but I still have not got around to buying a set myself yet :lol: I think they have been out for quiet awhile now.

They have just bought out a complete set with all the rail gear that you need in one bag http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/festool ... 96940.html and what a bargain price :lol: :shock:

It seems a bit expensive, but on the other hand we have become very spoiled in our expectation of buying stuff for half nothing:

1. It's almost an alternative to a panel saw.

2. Being Festool it probably works properly, is well built and is accurate.

3. £200 is about six hours labour.

4. Could it save you that?

5. Could you build one for that less the cost of materials and your thinking time?

I have been using these for the past year. They need to calibrated to your particular blade which is reasonably straight forward. Subsequently they remain accurate without too much fuss. They are designed to work with 18mm sheets and using thinner material requires a bit of lateral thinking. For accurately breaking down sheet goods they are convenient and easily transportable.

Back