Festool Domino. Tips and Advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doctor Bob":g2nejqxj said:
They don't handle being dropped very well.
Oh dear Bob! Was that after throwing it at your new apprentice? :lol: Got to admit it does tend to destroy the precision a bit. :lol:

mailee":2tgsr9e7 said:
As mine was second hand I didn't get the small protectors for the rods. I used some plastic electrical conduit which worked fine. :wink:

Mine was new and I didn't get any either! There was a little spanner though, and a spare set of guide stops.

woodchip":uc9hsfvq said:
1) calibrate it (watch the video mentioned above)
2) always, always use a vacuum
3) get into a routine, I do this:
A) check the depth is what I want
B) check the fence is at the height I want
C) check the width switch is on the setting I want
4) I usually do one side of the joint spot on, and on the other side I make two cuts, one half a mil over the line, then one half a mil under the line, this then gives 1mm of wiggle to get the pieces perfectly aligned. I only use the tight setting, but haven't done any panels yet

I would second all of the above, but would like to add:

D) Check that the cutter installed is the one you want. DAMHIKT :oops:

Yes I agree with that.

You might also want to check the depth of cut after changing cutters, otherwise you have to glue little bits of wood into the hole that appears on the other side and hope it doesn't show !

Henning":1tlsj0en said:
woodchip":1tlsj0en said:
1) calibrate it (watch the video mentioned above)
2) always, always use a vacuum
3) get into a routine, I do this:
A) check the depth is what I want
B) check the fence is at the height I want
C) check the width switch is on the setting I want
4) I usually do one side of the joint spot on, and on the other side I make two cuts, one half a mil over the line, then one half a mil under the line, this then gives 1mm of wiggle to get the pieces perfectly aligned. I only use the tight setting, but haven't done any panels yet

I would second all of the above, but would like to add:

davin":1tlsj0en said:

Yes I agree with that.

You might also want to check the depth of cut after changing cutters, otherwise you have to glue little bits of wood into the hole that appears on the other side and hope it doesn't show !

Thank you Henning and Davin, much appreciated. I'm keeping a note of all these tips so I'll be a little more prepared come weekend and I have time to play. I used the 5mm cutter supplied to make the test frame, and there were five more cutters in a box, so I guess there may be two 5mm cutters.

Latest posts

Back