festool ct17 extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornishjoinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been using my extractor for over a year now and its great. When sanding using my sander, brilliant picks up all the dust. Just got the festool t55 track saw and it doesnt seem to be picking everything up from it, is this the underpower of the extractor or is does this just happen with the saw. I am not talking about 100% pickup by the way, i would never expect that.
Does using the larger extractor with bigger hose work alot better?
Many thanks

Just a thought, but when using the track saw ensure that the transparent plastic window (can't recall the correct name for it) is pushed down flush with the surface of the material you're cutting, or the splinter guard, if fitted instead.
I would be surprised if the problem lie with your extractor or hose size, unless it's become accidentally blocked or full up. I use a cheap and cheerful one from Lidl which does a great job so I'm sure the CT17 is even better.
The only dust I've become aware of whilst using the track saw is when nearing the end of a cut.

Trimming cuts (when the side of the blade is exposed) will produce quite a bit of dust that is unlikely to be extracted. +1 for ensuring the plastic window is pushed down to the cutting surface. A further trick is to temporarily use masking tape over the saw body cut out (the area that is used to access the blade arbor hex bolt).

Cheers Jim

Just some info but the ct17 is classed as just a Hoover you should look into the mini or the midi them two have the same power just bag size is the difference

Nippychippy":1rzhoe89 said:
Just some info but the ct17 is classed as just a Hoover you should look into the mini or the midi them two have the same power just bag size is the difference
CT17 specs are identical to the Mini and Midi as far as Airflow (3700 l/min) and Max Vacuum (24000 pa) - it's the old Protool VCP 171 re-coloured as a Festool, and is still an L rated dust extractor AFAIK.

To the OP - obvious question, but do you have the suction turned all the way up?? Is the bag full? Are the filter(s) clean? I only ask because I know that when I've been sanding anything that produces really fine dust (e.g. filler) it really reduces the suction / bag life on my Midi. Also, as mentioned above, covering the side of the saw with e.g. masking tape makes a big difference - or you can go for the full Festool bolt-on Cover Plate :)

HTH Pete

I use a normal shop vac with the TS55 and there's very little dust at all. With edge cuts, or course you get some.

Cheers guys for all your help. I put the guard down and no dust, what a simple solution! Yeah always have vac up high unless sanding and keep bag and filter clean. Thanks again

Back