Felt drawer (box) lining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lardman

Established Member
Reaction score
I've knocked up a cutlery insert for a dresser drawer, nothing fancy.

Id like to line the bottom of the boxes with felt, I've already glued everything together, so its 5 compartments rather than just the base. :oops: The felt I've bought isn't self adhesive so whats the best method to attach it ? Id hate to end up with glue marks or finger prints showing.

Something like copydex is quite good for this.

Don't use too much or it can bleed through.

Also, - if you get bored you can paint your fingers with it and peel off when dry :D

Trim some cardboard to the right size and stick the felt to it with PVA glue (iron it to stick) then stick the card into the opening with ds tape - Rob

You could use some Suede Tex which is available from Turners Retreat. Saves having to try to cut out all of the compartments. HTH. :wink:

I wouldn't disagree with any of the above, the spray glue is very good. On card tables that need new baize I use PVA glue lightly spread so as not to bleed through. Here is a box that I made and lined with baize using spry glue.
012-4.jpg

I don't like to say anything Malcolm but someone has drunk all your beer! :D

I agree with the above except that there are spray adhesives then there is junk! Use 3M products as they are superb (if you can find it) and always test a sample first.

I used to stick laminated paper signs to wood boards for roadsigns and there are ones that stick really well and others that just fall off when dry.

I also find Evostick Impact is great if you want it to be permanent! Again very sparing and you have to be dead sure you have it lined up and go very carefully not to get wrinkles or pockets...it's a fine art!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks guys, plenty of options then.

you have to be dead sure you have it lined up and go very carefully not to get wrinkles or pockets...it's a fine art!

Thats what worries me, I can see this ending up much like the shirts I try to iron if Im not careful. :roll: I might have a dummy run on cardboard as woodbloke suggests.

jimi43":1lf8vr1x said:
I also find Evostick Impact is great if you want it to be permanent! Again very sparing and you have to be dead sure you have it lined up and go very carefully not to get wrinkles or pockets...it's a fine art!

Cheers

Jim
If you stick the felt to a piece of card in the first place, there aren't any problems with wrinkles - Rob

I think it would be easier to pop down to B&Poo get a roll of self adhesive green baize.

It's quite cheap.

(Save the proper stuff for the snooker table when it needs to be recovered.) :wink:

John. B

Professional spray adhesive from carpet fitters suppliers is good value and of good quality too. But dont get it on the face as it will never come off with out marking the felt

Quick update.

I tried the PVA & the contact adhesive on card and both left hard marks as they bled through the felt (its not very good quality and is rather thin).

In the end I used carpet tape directly onto the bottom of the tray. Seemed to work fine. :lol: I did however manage to catch one of the sides with the Stanley knife, so I have a bit of making good to do.

Latest posts

Back