Fein QA55E Vacuum Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerturnings

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading my Vax "workshop vac" to the Fein QA55E since the Vax has a rather heavy, inflexible hose, no power takeoff, and what looks to me like rather coarse and rudimentary filtration.

I've searched both here and on the Internet in general for comments on the Fein machine but found precious little that's relevant to this machine (or the QA35E which appears to be very similar but scaled down.)

If anyone has used one, I'd be very interested in any opinions on the machine. I'm especially interested to find out whether the fine (HEPA?) filter option reduces the airflow significantly; whether it comes with the set of floor tools pictured; and whether the hose is light/flexible enough to not be a hindrance to controlling the attached power tool. Any other comments would also be appreciated of course.

Thanks in advance

Neil

I have had one for several years now and it is an excellent machine.
It's the same as the Trend machine, they are all made by some Italian company for various manufacturers.
The fine filter cartridge for the machine is good and worth getting.
I use mine a lot for sanding plasterboard so I use the bags as well.
The fein bags are expensive but superior and larger than the trend ones.
You can reuse them if you carefully open one end and then reseal it.
For normal wood work etc I don't always use the bags.

Mike

well if it is the same as the trend in basics, then i too would recommend it, the trend is great for its price and abilities.

i agree about the trend bags. but the filters last a good long time.

paul :wink:

Neil

Have you considered the Festool MIDI vac I have just bought one and so far it looks great. I have a Record RSDE2 in the workshop in 240v but i've bought the 110v Midi as it has auto on off and its a whole lot quieter and its more mobile for using on-site.

The hose on it is plenty long enough and very light and it also has a very long lead. Bags are quiet expensive but I think you could empty them a couple of times I suppose.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The smaller Fein machine (Dustex 2?) does indeed look identical to the Trend, so if the larger one is made to a similar standard, it looks like it ought to be a decent machine.

Looking at the Festool CTL MIDI, it seems pricier both to buy (higher priced unit and floor cleaning heads are an extra, whereas they seem to be supplied with the Fein) and run (15lt bags in a 5pack cost more than Fein's larger bags in same quantity). On the other hand it does offer variable speed and a place to store any more Festools, just in case I should ever find myself on the Slope ;)

I want to be sure any machine I do buy is good for wood and MDF dusts, and to that end I've found some conflicting info on Festool extractors in that a Festool 2006 Catalogue reckons I need the CTM series to pick up wood dust. The price of any of those machines is way over my budget. However, it's also been said that the CTL and CTM use the same filters and are equally suited to MDF dust.

Perhaps it's time to talk to my local dealer who sells both Festool and Fein, and see what comes out of it.

Thanks again for the input.

I cant say anything about Fein as I have not used them but the Festool midi does not miss any dust.

I bought it to go with my TS55 saw and I have not really used it all properly yet but so far the quality is amazing the extractor comes on straight away and runs about 1 or 2 seconds after the saw has switched off.

It rolls around the floor really well too like its on ice not like my Record RSDE2 which can fall over if you're not careful.

A very good Festool dealer I spoke to told me that they are very efficient in filling the bags too he said hes seen them filled up so much that they are like solid bags of cement.

I suppose if you have not got any Festool stuff then the fein might look better as it has a bigger capacity for less money.

Back