Favourite tool broken and no longer made :(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
Really is annoying. A couple of years ago I was wandering around B&Q and saw something on their clearance table. It was a MacAllister Palm Belt Sander and I think I got it for like £15. It's a really useful piece of kit - a decent-sized (not miniature like Proxxon) belt sander that can be used easily with one hand. Now it is going the way of all cheap tools and I can't find a replacement - except a stupidly expensive DeWalt for £130. Sigh.

I have one of these and I bought it as a joint offer with the palm planer for about £40. As I can only use one hand hand, these have been very useful tools in my Arsenal ( :lol: ).

I'llkeep an eye open in my local B&Q as I thought I saw some in there a couple of weeks ago.

Oooops! A bit of confusion I seem to have caused. The tool I have is a MacAllister belt sander but it is so compact they call it a "palm" belt sander. Easily used by one hand.

9fingers":2e2gfyw3 said:
Mike.C":2e2gfyw3 said:
Chems":2e2gfyw3 said:
This lady is selling on for 15 euros:

http://adverts.ie/187116
And its a Macallister, :D the only trouble is its advertised as a palm belt sander, so which one is it?

Cheers

Mike

Erm? Wasn't that what Foggy wanted?

Bob

Erm? yes I see what you mean. The old grey matter is obviously failing a lot earlier in life then normal, either that or its the drugs, because this is the second time within the last week that I have either missed a word or only half of the sentence has registered.

On the other hand in my defence (and not as a excuse) I have never heard of a Palm Belt sander. I have only ever seen a palm sander and the big belt sanders, but until 5 minutes ago when I googled it not the two combined.
Why do you think that my above link directs him to a palm sander.

Thanks for pointing my mistake out Bob, and Foggg sorry for wasting your time. I stand corrected and have now added a new tool to my want list, because a small belt sander could be a very useful tool. :D Are they really around the size of a palm sander?

Cheers

Mike

FogggyTown":1kxxqb9s said:
Oooops! A bit of confusion I seem to have caused. The tool I have is a MacAllister belt sander but it is so compact they call it a "palm" belt sander. Easily used by one hand.

No Fogggy you have not. I mistakenly gave advice in a thread I have no knowledge of, and I should have double checked the topic before I answered.

Cheers

Mike

Don't worry Mike, I get days like that too!!

I'm currently surfing through the fog of a stinking cold and have to read everything 3 times just in case I've missed the point as well!

Cheers

Bob

9fingers":370f8vu8 said:
Don't worry Mike, I get days like that too!!

I'm currently surfing through the fog of a stinking cold and have to read everything 3 times just in case I've missed the point as well!

Cheers

Bob

That's made me feel better, at least I now know I am not the only senile pipper on the forum :lol:

Cheers

Mike

FogggyTown":2a4upp8j said:
Chems":2a4upp8j said:

Wow! I'd be all over it if it weren't collection only and I had any idea where Westmeath was.

according to google maps its in Eire , on the N4 west of Dublin , maybe you could arrange for one of our irish members to pick it up and send it to you ? ;)

If it was close to me I'd go get it but it would take about £60 to get me there and back which would kinda defeat the purpose a bit.

Maybe there's someone closer?

Brendan

FogggyTown":21qqht4x said:
Chems":21qqht4x said:

Wow! I'd be all over it if it weren't collection only and I had any idea where Westmeath was.

according to google maps its in Eire , on the N4 west of Dublin , maybe you could arrange for one of our irish members to pick it up and send it to you ? ;)

Get in contact an say you'll arrange a courier, and ask her to shove it in a bin bag.

Back