Fancy a new hi-tech project ? a wooden satellite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting - I know diddly-squat about space stuff however I do contribute to a global meteor network project that uses RaspberryPi credit-card computers and super cheap cctv surveillance cameras (circa £25 incl lens) to record meteor activity using some funky code - think similar tech to ANPR camera s/w. My contribution was to port it to linux and enable multiple camera support on a single host since it will run just fine on 10+y old kit.
One thing about it is that the data is so accurate that NASA reference it for scheduling EVA activity due to the high risk of getting hit by stuff. Even a particle as small as a grain of sand can have the kinetic energy of a rifle bullet, - to glow they typically have velocities in the range 80-160 kilometers per second !!
Great STEM project for your kids if it is of interest - the software is free and you get to capture funky stuff like this from your back garden - The Annual Perseids shower -
persieds-1.jpg

Back