Fancy a challenge for the new year?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lathepilot

Reaction score
Available to the enthusiastic is a cast iron surface Planer.
It has been superceded by a PT project :D so it has to go. :(

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

It is a Metalclad 9" surface planer (50+ years old??) in need of a bit of TLC.

It consists of:

A HEAVY cast iron stand.
Main base casting.
5 foot approx overall planing tables (one knob missing)
Fence assembly (has a crack in the angle adjustment bracket but not a serious problem)

No blades - £15 new on Ebay (9"/230mm) possibly less elsewhere.

The motor is not present. It needs about 2Hp+, 2850RPM motor with a double or triple pulley twice the circumference of the one on the main shaft to get up to 5500-6000 rpm. Ebay shows these bits up regularly enough. Machine mart should also have a solution.

One bearing block has cracked and been welded a long time ago. I doubt this would be a problem but replacement might be required.

Top/bridge guard also missing.

I'm sure this machine has lots left in it. It is longer than most small surface planers and really heavy for what it is. In combination with a table-top thicknesser it could make an economical combo. It must weigh in excess of 250KG but it would be a shame to scrap it. It breaks down into bits to move it though!

It is a simple machine and needs some simple solutions and improvisation to bring it back to life.

If anyone would like to dabble, it is available to collect from Central Lancashire for a couple of tenners (talk to me!). I would like to see it go to someone that will actually use it.

PM me if you are interested or have any questions.

Ta, Thom.

Remember, cast iron is not just for Christmas. It's for life. :wink:

Too far for me or I would have snapped this up.

Very good of you to offer this up, I really hope someone takes you up on the offer and gives it a new lease of life.

If anyone is interested I have a 2hp three-phase motor going free, its a bit beaten up but runs ok.

This machine certainly deserves to see shavings again!
and a very generous offer.

I would have it but I've now got a decent planer.

If it ends up coming south and someone wants a motor then I also have a choice of 3 phase and single phase motors that would do the job available for a modest no of beer vouchers. I also have metalworking machinery to help with restoration.

Bob

Back