F&C

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
The mag is now under a new Editor but I was disappointed to read the feature "F&C Selects 14 of the best Dovetail Saws".
This turned out to be a "Roundup" of saws with photos, brief descriptions and a few remarks - non negative.
No conclusions, no best buys and no recommendations.
Is this to keep the Advertisers happy - I wonder?

Rod

I thought the same Rod, the "reviews" have been superficial for a number of issues. Maybe it's time to cut my subscription, I have been umming and aahing for a good few months, but this is a new low.

I also subscribe to Good Woodworking which undulates between "average" and "poor", so it may be time to stop this one too.

In fact I haven't seen a critical review in any magazine for months. What is the world coming to?

Cheers

Aled

Not seen F&C for a while, I finished my subscription a couple of years ago as I was finding the mag repetitive, subjective and superficial. Occasionally I pick one up in WHSmiths and within a couple of minutes of flicking through I confirm that I don't need to start buying it again any time soon. I'm not singling out F&C - I suspect most of the other magazines will be the same.

In my view, the online community has replaced a lot of what we would previously have looked to a magazine for.

Ed

Aled Dafis":noiujk0g said:
In fact I haven't seen a critical review in any magazine for months. What is the world coming to?

I don't think you've been reading Good Woodworking closely enough! :D Andy always gives a very honest opinion, highlighting any bad points or things he would like/expect to see in various products. And in British Woodworking, Nick often writes about what he doesn't like, as much as the things he does like. :)

OPJ":2i38dhb7 said:
Aled Dafis":2i38dhb7 said:

I don't think you've been reading Good Woodworking closely enough! :D Andy always gives a very honest opinion, highlighting any bad points or things he would like/expect to see in various products. And in British Woodworking, Nick often writes about what he doesn't like, as much as the things he does like. :)

I agree with OPJ in fact the only two I subscribe to now are Good Woodworking and British Woodworking

They could have said all saws worked and were about the same as each other, but the price varied.

If it's a question of reader enjoyment, it's Good Woodworking and British Woodworking for me. Being a magoholic I have been taking these, F&C and 2 American magazines. Just had an ultimatum from the 'Great Leader' to get a grip so it'll be Good Woodworking and British Woodworking from now on.
I've been reading Woody Magazines for about 8 years and they have been fundamental to my learning curve, being a late starter, but even I see the repetition. It must be a hell of a headache for the editors to find fresh material and generally, I applaud their efforts.
Cheers,
Jim

Harbo":1k42255u said:
The mag is now under a new Editor but I was disappointed to read the feature "F&C Selects 14 of the best Dovetail Saws".
This turned out to be a "Roundup" of saws with photos, brief descriptions and a few remarks - non negative.
No conclusions, no best buys and no recommendations.
Is this to keep the Advertisers happy - I wonder?

Rod

I was hoping it was going to be more like there latest chisel test.

John-Henry

Theres quite an interesting story to the chisel test, but I will let woodbloke tell, but it may be a bit difficult to reveal all.

I think all these mags have a limited attention span for most readers. It certainly has with me. a couple of years and then I tend move on.

F & C didn't even bother to introduce it's new editor (unless I missed that) or the new editor introduce himself which I thought was rather odd.

And I was a little brassed when I saw the article containing the MDF wall mounted plate rack as that has definitely been printed in another British mag not so very long ago, I hate that when these articles get regurgitated and do the rounds with various other mags.

I agree with the comments about the saw "review" and lack of intro from the new Ed, the mag also seems to be a little thin these days and it doesn't hold the appeal it used to. Will keep my sub for the time being though, see how it goes

I only pick up British Woodworking now. I agree Good Woodworking upped it's game a while back but I still feel it's repeating itself too much.

OPJ":bgeysbtc said:
Aled Dafis":bgeysbtc said:

British Woodworking will soon be the only magazine that I subscribe to, and I find that it's by far the best on the UK market. Nick writes honestly and truthfully, which is quite refreshing in this day and age.

The other magazine that I rate very highly is Fine Woodworking of course, but i think that their budget is slightly richer than Nick's. I'm holding out until christmas for the subscription, as, if I drop enough hints, I may get one. (and a subscription :wink: :wink: )

Cheers

Aled

Back