Eye protection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was reading a comment on youtube the other day about someone using one of the wire brush things on their angle grinder/bench grinder and a piece coming loose, flying off, and sticking right into his tear duct!!! ... and this was with him wearing safety glasses too!!

I assume he was wearing the basic safety glasses that although shield your eyes from bits flying straight into them, have gaps underneath and around the nose, so bits can still come up under. Which is how I assume he got his injury.

I wear glasses like below :
image_80019.jpg

...and on a few occasions, dust or bits of debris have managed to get into the gaps and up into my eye. So am now going to look into something that provides more of a seal. Perhaps something like this : http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-concea ... gles/69051

It seems there are 4 types :

- Safety glasses (these have the gaps I mentioned)
- Safety googles (no gaps, but just eye protection)
- Face shield (full face protection, but large gaps at bottom and sides)
- Sealed Face Shield (full face proeciton, no gaps)

I'll still be using a full face shield for lathe work and grinding, but looking for something between the Safety glasses and the Safety googles for other work. I don't like the way that most safety googles kill your peripheral view though :(

Where I work, grinding* or using corrosive liquids with "just" glasses is a hanging offence.

* for exactly the reason you describe.

I personally don't like goggles as they inevitably steam up

A cheap (less than a tenner) face mask AND your usual glasses is the way to go
There is not usually a "clear line of fire" from the tool to your eyes when wearing a face mask

lurker":1rfrk6n8 said:
Where I work, grinding* or using corrosive liquids with "just" glasses is a hanging offence.

* for exactly the reason you describe.

I personally don't like goggles as they inevitably steam up

A cheap (less than a tenner) face mask AND your usual glasses is the way to go
There is not usually a "clear line of fire" from the tool to your eyes when wearing a face mask

I'm sure the facemask would be the best form of protection, but it'll just get in the way for general work (and they steam up like a ****), so was looking for more recommendations along the slim line googles type.

+1 for lurker's post. I also have 2 of these (maybe not the same brand) and as a glasses wearer I find them MUCH better than normal safety specs - not NIL steaming up but a LOT less than with safety specs.

I disagree with the previous comment about them getting in the way for normal work, personally I find it very easy to just swivel the transparent bit up, or even remove the mask completely.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference/comfort, but for me, though I have a couple of safety specs in the shop they never get used now.

Only problem with the full face mask I have found (mine came from Axi BTW) is that if spraying anything likely to "melt" plastic, it WILL do so, making the transparent screen useless (DAMHIKT)! But Axi do sell just the transparent bit to re-fit onto the head gear.

Highly recommended if you're a glasses wearer.

AES

I wear these in the shop these days*. they sit lower than others and closer in so harder for stuff to get under, they also have side protection. :)
n731220548_535439_5850.jpg

* note, this is not a picture of me.

also have a set of goggles I nicked from site which get worn occasionally, and an antifog spray for stopping the annoying steaming up. :)

Grinding and turning, you should be wearing a face shield/visor and goggles or properly fitting safety glasses.

For most other tasks, close fitting safety glasses (ones which fit and adjust to leave no appreciable gap round them), are sufficient.

Fit is crucial to making safety glasses effective, poorly fitting ones are about as much use as a bottle of crisps and a bag of lemonade.

Jelly":3k6iwrm3 said:
For most other tasks, close fitting safety glasses (ones which fit and adjust to leave no appreciable gap round them), are sufficient.

I haven't come across a pair that adjust like that, they all seem to be fixed. Can you suggest a pair?

transatlantic":13go5mn9 said:
Jelly":13go5mn9 said:

I haven't come across a pair that adjust like that, they all seem to be fixed. Can you suggest a pair?

The ones I find best for adjustability are Uvex I-vo, they also come in a version with a strap which is great for use with ear defenders, but the Carbovision are better suited to that as a halfway house between glasses and goggles.

My personal favorites are Peltor Metaliks Sport, which adjust by gently bending the metal frame much like when an optician fits glasses for someone, less range to adjust but if they do work for you, brilliant!

I generally stick with Uvex glasses both at work and at home.

They have a variety of shapes and sizes and if you can try them on you'll find a good pair without having to go the goggle and steamup route.

The ones I have a few pairs of have fairly large lenses leaving almost no gap under the eye (depending on your face shape as well i assume) , and small side guards to prevent anything there.

Pretty comfy too.

http://www.uvex-safety.co.uk/en/product ... ospec-2.0/

Dave

Funny to come in from the shop and see this - I wear prescription safety glasses and begrudge paying the money, but it pays. I have a lead fishing weight on a nylon cord hanging from a shelf bracket so that I can go out through the door in my wheelchair, grab the weigh as I go past and pull the door closed behind me. For some reason it snagged on the side of a shelf and when I came back in and the weight pulled free, swung out at a rate of knots and hit me smack in the eye. £90 well spent.

Having tried every type of safety glasses/goggles/visors and mask combinations there are out there, i eventually invested in an airshield. I'm a sweaty sort and although i still sweat on hot days wearing the airshield and it can get a bit annoying wearing it for long periods, i have found it the best compromise for me. No steaming up and full face protection, with the added bonus of keeping most of the dust out as well. I do take other dust prevention measures as well and don't just rely on the airshield. I also invested in a Record air filter and attach extraction to any machine or power tool i use. You also need to be rigorous and employ all safety measures even if it's just a one off 2 minute job.

any lens colour recommendations? I would be buying online, so no opportunity to try them before buying.

Before I got my Axminster Evolution powered respirator. Though after getting my Axy hobby dust extractor, fitted with the big mesh drum option and my Record ceiling mounted dust extractor. ( Very like the Jet in capacity but much lower price.)

I bought a DEWALT DPG82-11C Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle.

One reviewer raved about how effective they are, no fogging even wearing a face mask.
I paid £12.89 buy now Ebay inc delivery.

Neil S":94y5eru4 said:
I already wear glasses so goggles are the only real option for me.
I wear these uvex ones which are anti fog and they have never misted up on me.

View attachment 36877

£14 from screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/uvex-ultrason ... gles/36877

-Neil

Are they REALLY anti fog? have you used them outside while getting a bit of a sweat on? I'm not doubting your word but I've used 4 or 5 of these "anti fog" and they all do to a greater or lesser extent even forces style "tactical" eye protection that were about £40 iirc. The only way I've managed to get a few hours of no fog is to treat the inside with smeared dish liquid.

I use a face sheild now, but have still had a few shards of slate manage to ricochet off something and go inside it, even with it perpendicular to the work, and the visibility from mine isn't great either.

marcros":3hub44i3 said:
any lens colour recommendations? I would be buying online, so no opportunity to try them before buying.

Depends... for workshop use, clear.

Amber are intended to help with eye strain in low light environments, dark/mirrored for bright/high UV environments.

Latest posts

Back