Extramite glue - how to mix?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to be dragging up this old thread...

I am having the exact same problems with Cascamite (extramite).. the instructions say 3.5 times the powder to 1 times water by volume.. however when I used 7 coke bottle lids of powder to 2 lids of water there is simply not enough water to dissolve the powder!!! :shock:

(The instructions say two parts powder to one part water by weight, 3.5 : 1 by volume)

So I cancelled the glue up and used the mixed stuff to glue some samples.. I will test for strength tomorrow... in the end I had to go with about 7 lids of powder to 4 or 5 lids of water to get a paste rather than a clumpy mess.. this is far more water than advised...

Is this a problem? Does out of date Cascamite behave in this way?

One poster mentioned that you have to mix for a long time with seemingly nothing happening, then all of a sudden it mixes ok... so i will try this.

I tried ringing the phone number on the tub but got a 'no such number' tone, can't find any other contact details.

I have seen several web pages that say two parts water to one part powder, presumabley by volume.. this would mix ok I'm sure , but is totally different to instructions...

Ok, I did use a paper cup, my bad... will use plastic or glass next time...

http://www.eccabinets.com/ExternallyLin ... clumpy.jpg
http://www.eccabinets.com/ExternallyLin ... 2water.jpg

Finally, will normal wood glue join two MDF pieces face to face in a long lasting and durable way? (It is to fake thickness by adding a lower rim around the perimeter of a table top)

Cheers
Joe

Blimey Joe, You have dug up an old post :shock: :) .

I was using some just yesterday and no problems mixing, I usually do it by weight as it's more consistent and works every time, 2 parts powder, one part water, put 50% of water into the powder and mix well then add rest of water.

Cascamite, is now called Polymite (don't ask :? ) it does have a shelf life, depending on where & how it's stored.

Hope this helps

i read somewhere recently on the net this glue has a useful shelf life of 1 year only but if the top is left off the this comes down very fast and also as this product has changed names in the last decade or so its been owned by 3 companies and the formula has only changed once in the last 15 years by the request of its users. There is a history page about this on the net sorry cant remember where so do a serch for it?

JUst a quick update to say that my sample pieces all failed with minimal force... they had been made with the Cascamite mixed with various quantities of water... in some cases the glue had even been mixed to a paste rather than a clumpy mess! :D

On the other hand the MDF glued face to face with normal Evostik wood glue was impossible to break... it is still together and won't break and so today I used Evostik for the main job...

(The main job is a bit of a botch, adding a perimeter of 18mm MDF to an 18mm MDF tabletop but I explained this to the paying customer who is a furniture shop and apartment outfitter... they always say 'we don't care, what is the cheapest option?'... it breaks my heart to do things that are most likely worst practice... in this case we are enlarging an existing table by making a new top 450mm longer and 200mm wider,,,, while only making the base longer, not wider... the overhang is a bit off now he he he, and looks ridiculous but then the customer is always right eh?)

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated, I intend to practice a bit more and do some samples with the Cascamite before I need it again...

Hi

I am a great believer in cascamite as a good, creep free, adhesive.

I use Borden Oneshot which, I think, is similar to the original cascamite. I find that Extramite has a shorter open time than Oneshot. On a hot summers day it can set in the pot before you have had time to get it on the work! And it sticks like rank nappies.

I used to judge the proportions by eye, but after a couple of problems I now mix by weight 2 parts powder to one of water. Mix all the powder with half the water to get a stiff paste then add the rest of the water to give a consistency like single cream, let the mix stand for about three minutes to allow any bubbles to disperse before using.

This information comes from an information sheet for Oneshot which I downloaded from the web, its pinned up at work and I cannot remember the address. I will post it tomorrow.

I have not had problems with shelf life, but I get through mine quite quickly.

Chris

i have been cascamite every day for about two months now and you don't need to measure it. as long the consistency is right is the same thing. i put in as much powder as i need and add a little water. then it mixes into a really thick paste. it's much easier to beat out the lumps when it's thick. when it smooth i add water to the desired consistency. i find that if it's used in a vac press or bag it can be quite thin but needs to be thicker if it needs to fill gaps.
also resintite from toolstation mixes really easy and is about £15 for 3kg

Back