extractor for small shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

Fed up with cleaning up after the event with a small second hand vacuum cleaner in my 7' x 9' shed, I need to get some better extraction sorted.

I can fit in a small cam vac or similar, but I'm really like to have it as quiet as possible. Do these types of vacs tend to be loud?

Is it possible to vent these outside as I'm sure I'm just pumping finer particles out the back of my hoover at the minute.

It will need to connect to my kity 419 table saw (modded to take a 4" hose, also a planer and a thicknesser and power tools).

I can only use one thing at time in there so more than happy to move a hose around between tools.

So it needs to be: small (but bigger capacity than henry hoover type), quiet, extraction that I can put to the outside and be able to take 4" hose and small hose.

Any suggestions?

ah I found this thread about the noise level of camvacs which seems to be loud!

vacuum-dust-extractor-noise-output-t41462.html

They sound effective and the 2.5" floor mounted version would be ideal, but anyone know of a quieter version? Needs to create a good level of suck as my hoover on my table saw still isnt doing the business, even after covering all the holes.

I have a Camvac and it is noisy but also very good. I know a lot of people have reduced the noise by putting hoses on the outlets and extracting outside. This is certainly possible. I've been meaning to do it but not go around to it yet.

Camvac's do triple filter down to 0.4 microns so there's not much being pumped back into the room. Watch out for the filtration on other models. I don't know if Record extractors are any quieter but some are well regarded on here. I think it depend on the type of motor used in the machine.

Hi

How about putting a hose port into the shed wall to allow the extractor to be placed outside on fine days?

I have a Record Power extractor which is pretty efficient but rater noisy :(

Regards Mick

I have the small floor standing Camvac and yes, left to its own devices it is pretty noisy but putting a hose on the exhaust side makes a massive difference and if it can be stuck out of a window or something then it will make even more difference.

Thanks guys

So does the noise travel out of the hose? Seems a weird concept, but I'm open to the idea.

I do have a covered area to the side of my shed where I store my wood, but I'm not sure about keeping it outside all year round. Might annoy the neighbours a bit... That would require a much longer hose as well.

Do you guys have the 2.5" hose version? That would be bigger than my standard vacuum (I think). Does it provide significant air movement over a vacuum?

Is the 2.5" measurement the bore of the hose itself? or the joints where it connects?

Cheers chaps.

I have the 4" model with a 2.5" reducer where necessary for smaller tools. The 4" hose (or 2.5" hose) is the diameter of the connection to the machine and so also the diameter of the hose you need.

yes Mick - totally agree with 'fed up' ... I have a mid-size w'shop (400sq ft) and I have tried a number of solutions and am still not happy at all.
Generally I believe the vac-style have brush motors and they are noisy. The chip extractors are big but have induction motors and they are quiet. I run a Record Dx4000 and it is loud, also it is no good on the planer. No surprise as vacs don't work with big chip volume (as Record fairly point out). I also run a cheapo Macallister vac with switched supply out to the 2 routers, miter saw etc (like you I only run 1 thing at a time). That is really good for £60.
BUT I think the mess comes in 3 sizes and needs attacking that way. The really small air-bourne dust is actually the worst. Next time I do a workshop I will fit a big (10" say ) super-quiet kitchen extractor, and dump the lot outside. (Forgot to mention I have a Jet particle filter too... it means very well, but ).
For all the rest I think you are looking for the same as me - a quiet, induction, vac-style dust extractor. Big bin, 100mm / 4"... but quiet.
(and may I point out I am mean, so any suggestions should take account of that. Repeat, mean.)

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I've just put an extension on to my 3.5m x 4m workshop, its mainly a store for garden tools ,kids bikes etc floor area around 2.4m x 3.5m . Anyway I have a record rsde2 extractor that's noisy and also throws out a lot of heat. I'm thinking of putting it in the extension then running a hose or pipe thru the wall and use maybe a remote control socket to power it on and off. I might even sound proof it further if needed. Has anyone here done something similar ??

mickthetree":3bas5ux5 said:
So does the noise travel out of the hose? Seems a weird concept, but I'm open to the idea.

I think it acts like a car silencer but although I have never tested it I do get the feeling that it reduces the suction power by a small amount. Its still pretty good though and the exhaust pipe with the narrow nozzle attached makes a good blower for getting the dust out of awkward places. You could blow trees over with it :)

Well I don't have the budget for it at the moment, but the Numatic NV750 sounds like it might fit the bill. at 70db it should be quiet enough. The NVD750 comes with more accessories, but is more moey still.

British made too!

The reason the hose outlet reduces noise is because of sound-wave destruction that occurs due to the rippled surface. The longer the hose, the less suction you will get though since the motor is working harder to push the air out. You can fix this by having a shorter outlet hose that vents into a larger diameter roll of carpet or old "egg carton" foam. This guy made a muffler:

http://www.jcopro.net/2012/03/15/shop-vac-noise-reduction-muffler-and-panelling/

I have seen similar designs in various shops since completely isolating a vac in a box takes up so much room.

Paul.

Hello

If you are looking for a small versatile extractor , this make is quite good

Rexon DE1000a

Its a 1 HP induction motor ( 750Watts ) reasonably quiet and versatile

It comes with 4 caster's and a handle to move it around , but it can also be fixed to a wall

Rexon still do spares for it

I found a old UKW advert for one sold some years ago

click the link

sold-rexon-de1000-dust-extractor-t45558.html

:wink:

Cheers Paul. I like the look of that.

My little vacuum claims to be 1200 watts, but I guess due to the way it works and the size of hose, it doesn't give enough suck for my TS.

Thanks Blister. Forgive my ignorance. So that one sucks in through the hose, passes through the impeller then deposits into the bag? Similar to this one at Axminster.

Can these type cope with power tools, TS, thicknesser? If so it looks like a great option.

Actually just read the reviews and it seems to be well regarded.

I could mount it outside under my covered area....... :D :D

Ok, I think I'm getting my head around this a bit more now.

So ideally you need an extractor like Blister mentioned to cope with the bigger stuff from the thicknesser and planer, then something to deal with the fine stuff?

In that case I can cope with cleaning up after my extractor as that gets less use. I'm using my table saw more often now and that produces some very fine dust that my little vac doesn't seem to be able to cope with.

mickthetree":9hkqxcxr said:
Cheers Paul. I like the look of that.

My little vacuum claims to be 1200 watts, but I guess due to the way it works and the size of hose, it doesn't give enough suck for my TS.

Thanks Blister. Forgive my ignorance. So that one sucks in through the hose, passes through the impeller then deposits into the bag? Similar to this one at Axminster.

Can these type cope with power tools, TS, thicknesser? If so it looks like a great option.

Actually just read the reviews and it seems to be well regarded.

I could mount it outside under my covered area....... :D :D

Yes and Yes :mrgreen:

mickthetree":2ukcekmf said:
Ok, I think I'm getting my head around this a bit more now.

So ideally you need an extractor like Blister mentioned to cope with the bigger stuff from the thicknesser and planer, then something to deal with the fine stuff?

In that case I can cope with cleaning up after my extractor as that gets less use. I'm using my table saw more often now and that produces some very fine dust that my little vac doesn't seem to be able to cope with.

Mick, there is the mess you see, and the dust that you can't. I am not personally worried about what comes from the thicknesser as much as what comes from routers, sanders and tools that produce fine dust I can't physically see. The particle size is the deciding factor in wether it is considered a cancer causing agent or not and in general, the nastiest stuff isn't visible to the human eye.

I use a large Dewalt extractor on my thicknesser to handle large particle size and large volumes of shavings. I use a shop vac on my sliding mitre saw to handle the smaller volumes of finer material. Lastly I use a dust mask with very fine filters to handle the fine airborne particulates. Ithink this guy's approach is a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5SIZ5hbic

Paul.

Back