extraction measurements

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Is there anyone here that could explain how i can measure airflow in my new extraction system ?

a) without expensive equipment

b) in words of one sylable :D

I've read the bill pentz site till i'm dizzy but although i think the guy is a saint he isnt any good at clarification.

thanks

Mike

This is the method we used to use in the mines to measure airflow if we didn't have an anemometer with us. We measured the cross sectional area of the tunnel or (the width and height of your workshop). This gave us a figure in square metres m2.We then set up a measured length say 1 metre along the roadway(tunnel). Then one of us would send up a wisp of smoke ( yes we did have wisp of smoke makers). We timed how long it took for the wisp of smoke to do the metre which gave us the velocity of the air in m/sec. Simple maths - cross sectional area x velocity = m3/sec .Now the simplest way of doing it in the workshop would be to choose 3 areas to measure (close to the extractor , and then move away. Drop 2 pieces of string from the roof a metre apart.Turn off the lights, shine a torch ,get a wisp of smoke ( aerosol deodorant might do , if not then a fag (ahem !) time the wisp over the metre,multiply the figure by the cross sectional area and then average out the 3 figures - bingo. We used to have a saying that if you couldn't time the wisp because it was too fast then airflow was good. Sorry if this seems a bit complicated it took some comprehending the first time I ran across it.

Thankyou! :D

at last a (relativly) simple way of doing it !! :D

question: i want to measure at a particular machine which is on a side wall. i would have thought that air would be sucked in from all sides of the open port .im not sure where i would have my brother with his fag and the strings in relation to the port.

should i do it near the port or at far end of building
workshop is 15 x 5 mtrs

thanks again

Mike

Mike I would be tempted to take measurements all over the shop,particularly over the top of dust producing machines,remember the faster the smoke the more air velocity,so you don't have to work out the calcs. I forgot to mention why the dark and torch ,it is to see the smoke better.If you can see the smoke then do it in the light.
Cheers John

dumb question mike, why do you want to know ??

surely the only thing you really need to know is in the morning, is the workshop as clean as it was or less so??? :roll:

paul :wink:

Bill Pentz is pretty firm in pointing out that lots of air is needed to capture all the dust (not just chippings) from machining operations. He appears to say that a hood placed to surround the stream of waste thrown off by the cutter connected to a 100mm extracion pipe wont do the whole job. Much better if the hood is connected to a 150mm pipe. If the extractor motor/fan is pulling hard enough to keep the airflow at the same speed in teh bigger pipe, the air speed in the hood will now be faster. This should improve capture within/close to the hood. The airspeed within the hood itself (slower than the pipe due to its larger X sectional area) might be measured with an hand anemometer, cost around 60 quid.

Typical practical in-hood velocities are in the range 3 to 10 m/sec. If you take a RAS or MS as an example, with a large hood 300x300mm at the rear, this figure of 3-10m/sec is reduced by an order of magnitude to 0.3 to 1 m/sec just 300 mm away from the hood*. This is estimatable by the 'fag test'. Bear in mind fine dust 'just floating about' needs an air flow of 0.3 to 0.5 m/sec to get itself captured.

* Local Exhaust Ventilation, HSE 1999

air speed reduces by 10x for each diameter distant from the pipe/hood end, (hence at 300mm for a 300x300mm hood)

Capture velocities, abstract from publication above:
difficult to do table, data given as pairs, in following format:

particle velocity/airspeed to capture in m/sec

practically none, into quiet air/0.25-0.5m/s (evaporation - i.e. brush painting)
low velocity into slow moving air/0.5-1.0m/s (i.e. paint spraying in booth)
high velocity into rapid air/2.5-10m/s (typical of wood machining)

Thanks for all he replies - i'm still not sure how to do it and how accurate it wiould be :oops:

As to why i want to do it, I just paid a lot of money getting a clearvue cyclone frome the states and i havnt got it totally installed yet (not the ducting and hoods anyway)
and i'm just a bit dubious as to whether its shifting the 1200cu ft /min that i expect.
I want to find out if there is a problem- is it my ducting or hoods or is it the fan etc.
Also i'm a nerd :shock:

So i cant tell from just looking at the dust yet :)

the link for making the manometer was great might save me £27 :)
whereas the calculator link needs velocity inputting so i dont see how i can enter that?

I spose its going to be a bit of smoke and a bit of trial and error as usual cos i dont fancy paying out even more money just to test the system. :)

Mike

Back