Exterior table top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishmat

Reaction score
I am looking for some opinions here to help me make my decision.

I am making a table built into a deck. Quite a large table (3m x 1.2). The table legs as it were will be a large storage box clad in the decking.

My problem is what to put on the top. There will be doors on one side of the box so the top will be fixed in place.

I want to make a large solid timber top and will probably join each piece with tongue and groove but what is the best timber to use considering the following factors.

1 Most important - it is outside with no cover
2 I want to stain the top to match a stain I put on the decking (dark)

The decking is the usual tanalised, grooved stuff.

My main concern is the weathering of the timber and joints. It will be in the sunlight and rain with no cover. However, I want something that will take a stain and finish to match in (near enough) to a stain I will be applying to the deck.

Any opinions will be of help.

Many thanks.

in my opinion there is only one wood for outside and thats teak, and maybe iroko too :roll: so i lie :lol:

Isn't the underside of decking flat?

If so use decking and just glue it together to make the top, biscuits will help you line it up but is not absolutely necessary. You can stain it like the rest of the decking.

If not, just plane the grooves out.

I wouldn't have a solid top, simply because the weather is likely to break your joints on solid boards and also crumbs of food fall through open jointed timber more easily and that keeps your dog out of the way under the table.

What about Cedar? This table is 2600x1100mm

42596746.pic14.jpg

Robinia/Black Locust - from book knowledge only - I am determined to try it out somewhere.

Thanks for all your help.

Shultzy- This table is for a customer who earns a little less than David Beckham. The last line of my quote to him says 'using the smooth underside of decking will knock over £1000 off the price' he wants the best though. If it was my table I would do exactly what you say. He may go for ity though. Like a lot of rich people, he does not like to part with it all the time.

DomValente- You sound just like me, pessimistic about exterior timber jobs. Just lie to me. Joking aside, you are probably right. But if my joints fail badly enough I will have the gaps anyway.

Lynx- I am considering cedar so your reply has just pushed it up the list. Sorry, but I can't see the table. It might be my computer - not sure

Jake- I'll do a google on this and have a look through my books. Thanks

Lynx- Still can't see it. Thanks for trying. I even cut and paste the link but nothing.

Shultzy- Think I might go with Iroko. I prefer the look to that of Cedar. Teak is sooooo expensive.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Latest posts

Back