Exterior oak finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just replaced some wooden slats on a garden seat for my parents. It consists of 2 cast iron ends and a dozen slats bolted between them.

I would like to put a finish on it- something that doesn't need too much maintenance. A yearly wipe over is fine but I don't want my mother having to strip something off to re-apply another coat.

Any suggestions? I would prefer something reasonably available in Leeds. I was going for tung oil but homebase/b and q don't seem to keep it.

I did read about that, although I think it is not recommended for horizontal surfaces. Water shouldn't be sat on the surface though. I think that they do a sample pot which will do the bench.

I had read some similar tales of tung oil.

I've not researched that one, but I can't see there would be a problem as long as there were no retained water anywhere. The indoor stuff will do floors and worktops - but it will mark with water sitting on it for any length of time. It's easily repaired, though, which is a big bonus.

Used both Tung and Osmo, if Fung is applied properly I.e. Wait 20 minutes and wipe of excess it works really well. Needs to be reapplied about once or twice a year but that's very easy and quick. Osmo also works really well, found the coloured can vary a bit between cans. Best advise is ensure you have enough if using coloured in the can to complete the job.

I decided on osmo one coat oak stain and clear osmo uv oil. The literature warned against the osmo oil alone on a horizontal surface and I found a post on here from woodfinishman that said a clear external finish that lasted for years was the holy grail that nobody was close to reaching yet. Finally, one of the rogers did a comparison on a post over several summers and the stained finish came out significantly better. This was sikkens stuff but the minimum was a litre. The osmo sample pots were perfectly sized.

The osmo one coat went on nicely. I didn't like the colour at first, but I brushed it on, left it a few minutes and wiped it off. The resulting stained colour looked very good. It needs a couple of days before I put the oil on- I will do that mid next week so it has plenty of time.

Latest posts

Back