Extending the fence on an ELU ETS 3151 LA2 Site Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonserviam

Reaction score
Hi Folks.
I'm new to this forum and new to woodworking in general. We're in the process of reflooring a large area with chestnut floorboards. We have a DeWalt 771 for crosscuts etc, and an Elu as above for ripping down widths for each run. I've constructed a table about 2.5 metres in length to pass the boards on to but at 25mm thickness they can be quite awkward - maximum length is around 2.5 metres. The Elu works fine but I think the fence is a bit lacking in stability. I was wondering if anyone could give me a clue on extending the fence so it could be fitted to both ends of the table metal table. I have searched the parts sites and I don't believe there's an extension for the fence. At over £70 I don't fancy butchering another fence, but it might be the only choice. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Mac.

You could try a piece of oblong tubing 100mm x 50mm [4" x "2] either clamp it on it's own if you need only one size [a pain if you need to move it a lot] Or you could make it into a new rip fence to replace the one you got.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mac
Using a long fence for ripping is not at all a good idea. The fence is short for a reason, it is much safer that way. It reduces the risk of kickback by preventing the cut part of the material from pressing on the blade. If you extend the fence and the wood moves when it is ripped, the end can press on the fence, forcing the rest of the material into the blade and then it gets kicked back at you.

Here is a video explaining it in more detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7QXIN2X8-w

Cheers
Steve

Cheers Guys.
I thought it might be a safety issue. I watched the video Steve and noticed that my original fence doesn't even go the full length of the Elu table, so I will be doing a bit of both - getting a bit of extruded alli the length of the table, and running a short wooden fence as in the video to allow space for the stock to run free once past the cutting edge. Great help. I'll be back for more advice in the hope that I might be able to give some in the future.
Mac.

Welcome Mac...and totally agree with what Steve says.

The most important thing about long stock is stable outfeed facility. The last thing you want to happen is for the stock to go awol just as you are finishing the cut...highly dangerous and ruins the cut at the very least!

Steve's series of DVDs come highly recommended. Well worth the purchase price. I bought mine over a year ago now and I still watch it occasionally to pick up bits of advice I have missed. A mine of useful information and tips and jigs that man!

Jim

Aw, shucks! Thank you Jimi. As it happens I'm just finishing filming the next one. Or next 4, depending on how they get edited. The subject? Well, the Tablesaw, of course! (That's all assuming I do get to finish it before Eviction Day :( )
S

I see what your saying Steve, and from seeing the new yankee workshop series on sky. I have seen this for cross cutting to eliminate kickback but seeing the modern saws have a rip fence that passed the blade thought it was ok as long as it is perpendicular to the blade or even slightly more away from the blade on the outfeed :oops: . Though I bow to your superior knowledge [have seen some of your videos and found them very helpful] as I am not as experienced by a long shot as you obviously are.

so best to listen to what Steve says Mac as his knowledge supersedes mine.

Latest posts

Back