Extending table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETERG

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently making a extending oak table and just wondered if anyone has a good way of making the table top leafs slide apart using wood rather than complicated and expensive hardware?

I was thinking of grooving the rails and rebating out a piece of wood to attach to the table tops that would allow it to slide but i'm a bit concerned the top might be to heavy (2" thick") for it to slide smoothly

any suggestions many thanks

Hi,

Here is my solution

DSC_0125.jpg

A batten on the top edge of the frame and L shaped battens on the underside of the leaves.
Rub some candle wax on every thing and off you go.

Pete

I thought through all sorts of methods for this problem when I made a Butterfly extending table a while ago.
see link .butterfly-table-t54891.html

In the end I went for " reasonably cheap and not too complicated hardware" in the form of a reciprocating slide (from Haffele I think) . This is nice because you only have to pull one side and they both open.

In the end I think it was a good choice and simplifies construction a bit.

Ollie

Racers":1zrkkd3h said:
Hi,

Here is my solution

DSC_0125.jpg

A batten on the top edge of the frame and L shaped battens on the underside of the leaves.
Rub some candle wax on every thing and off you go.

Pete

i dont have a very big lip on my table like yours (great job btw) do you think an l shaped batten running on a groove on the inside will work the same?

Ollie78":1phlfgd8 said:
I thought through all sorts of methods for this problem when I made a Butterfly extending table a while ago.
see link .butterfly-table-t54891.html

In the end I went for " reasonably cheap and not too complicated hardware" in the form of a reciprocating slide (from Haffele I think) . This is nice because you only have to pull one side and they both open.

In the end I think it was a good choice and simplifies construction a bit.

Ollie

stunning table =D>

how do you work out what size slide you need is it the inside measurement or the overall table length?? little help please so much to choose from on the hafele site

Hi PeterG

The total extended length of the slide must fit inside the rails at the end, well that`s how I did it. However I did consider cutting a small slot in the rails if required but thought not to, in order to keep it cleaner looking.

The other critical measurement is the size of the opening, remember to leave enough room for location pins for the leaf.

I designed the table first and then looked for suitable slides, I found the ones that fitted most closely, I had to make the length between stretchers a little longer than originally drawn, but only about 20mm so it still looked fine.

The good thing about this type of slides is that they support the top well and slide very smoothly, I was worried about using a more traditional all wood construction because I could imagine it binding due to movement.

I did find some wooden reciprocating slides which looked nice but because I was using a butterfly extension they were too wide to allow the swing of the leaf. Also I found an awesome looking Veritas device which you just pull one side out, then when the opening is large enough the centre just pops up. This thing looks brilliant but you are limited to a top of 19mm or something, mine was 32mm.

Good luck.
Ollie

PETERG":20z7te9c said:
i dont have a very big lip on my table like yours (great job btw) do you think an l shaped batten running on a groove on the inside will work the same?

Hi, Pete

It will work but you might get problems with it jaming when the top expands, I built enough clearance into mine and the L shaped batens are screwed on just in case!

Pete

Hafele do stock a vast range of fitting etc, but it's worth noting they are "trade only". They do have partner outlets arond the country or you may know someone with an account. HTH

Dave

Ollie78":wjgr9de8 said:
Hi PeterG

The total extended length of the slide must fit inside the rails at the end, well that`s how I did it. However I did consider cutting a small slot in the rails if required but thought not to, in order to keep it cleaner looking.

The other critical measurement is the size of the opening, remember to leave enough room for location pins for the leaf.

I designed the table first and then looked for suitable slides, I found the ones that fitted most closely, I had to make the length between stretchers a little longer than originally drawn, but only about 20mm so it still looked fine.

The good thing about this type of slides is that they support the top well and slide very smoothly, I was worried about using a more traditional all wood construction because I could imagine it binding due to movement.

I did find some wooden reciprocating slides which looked nice but because I was using a butterfly extension they were too wide to allow the swing of the leaf. Also I found an awesome looking Veritas device which you just pull one side out, then when the opening is large enough the centre just pops up. This thing looks brilliant but you are limited to a top of 19mm or something, mine was 32mm.

Good luck.
Ollie

I'm not doing a butterfly extension just a simple solid leaf added to extend the table so i dont have that problem

I'm making the table out of short ends and its kind of a prototype until i get a bigger house!

the table is 900 x 900 extending to 900 x 1350 so inside the table will be 740 approx but can be altered but the top cant as i already glued it up today

what size slide do you think would be appropriate? and any idea on cost? did you get the locating pins from Hafele? i can get them from Hafele through work so its not a problem

hope you can help massive thanks :mrgreen:

Ill post some pictures of one i made ages ago if your interested? when im at my pc. Using purely timber slides, no ironmongery required.

sorry, i havent got as many pictures as i remember, just a few off my phone,

the main table is ontop, and then extensions sit in place underneath, then slide out on rails upon the diagonal to the level of the main top, and the topdropsdown in place behind it, then to remove extension, just lift the main top and slide the end backunder.

really is a nice table, and going to be building one for myself when i get the time :D

2h497hf.jpg

28tyx07.jpg

zko2hg.jpg

5flld2.jpg

i have better pictures of the pine one i was comissioned for this one, to replicate if you are interested in seeing them?

thats ok great looking table i was thinking about a trestle table like that rather than 4 legs maybe next time ;)

Back