Extending plunge depth in Woodrat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought a Woodrat and also upgraded my router from an old (very old) 1/4" router to a Trend T11. I want to use my stock of 1/4" router bits in the T11 and have bought a 1/4" collet to go with the supplied 1/2" one.

However, the T11/'Rat combination severely limits the plunge depth of these bits and I need to extend this range. (I am assuming I have set everything up OK.) Any suggestions??

The options seem to be:
- Extreme Extension: - not suitable for a 'Rat
- extension sleeve as sold by Woodrat. Has anyone any experience of these? How much extension do they allow and are they safe??
- collet extension. Is this the same as a sleeve? I have seen the Trend recommended but cannot find it on their website. Again, how safe are these?
- buy a new set of 1/2" bits. Given the state of my bank account, this is the answer of last resort!, altho' I do plan to buy Woodrat's HSS dovetail bits later.

All suggestions gratefully received

Best wishes - Roy

RoyS":23ippx7y said:
- extension sleeve as sold by Woodrat. Has anyone any experience of these? How much extension do they allow and are they safe??
I have one; it seems to be very effective, although I haven't exactly pushed the boundaries with it. You can sort of leave a bit of the sleeve showing and a bit of the cutter shank showing and you do get a certain amount of extra depth, but don't expect to be cutting mortises. I use it mainly to save changing collets when I go from a 1/2" to 8mm. In the end you'll end up buying longer reach bits, 8mm and 1/2" (a 3" plus 1/2" bit is my workhorse on the 'Rat). Really they're the best solution; buy them one at a time and it's not quite so painful to the wallet. :|

Cheers, Alf

Roy

I'm assuming that you've seen these two threads ?

Xtreme Xtension 1

Xtreme Xtension 2

If I remember correctly, the chuck extender from WoodRat is the same lenght as the XX and so can be problematic in terms of depth and under specific circumstances. I have a spare one that you are very welcome to borrow and try out.

Fortunately I have the DW625 and so fitted the Eliminator Chuck ..which is superb.

I have used the Trend extension in a T11, and that combination works well on the 'Rat, though I must admit it's my T9 that lives on the 'Rat usually.

Hi - thanks for the replies. As both the XX and the Trend collet extension cost over £50, I have decided to put the cash towards some workhorse 1/2""
bits instead. Which leads me on to:

Next question. I have 12.7 and 7mm straights; what other bits, other than dovetails, are most used on the 'Rat??

Mnay thanks - Roy

Back