Experimental steam bending (not quite going to plan) ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this for general amusement.

I'm in the process of making some drawers. I decided to use some oak I had left over for the sides, back and bottom which I cut to 8mm thick from a 2 inch board. Problem was that some of the finished pieces cupped quite a bit. So, ever the innovative experimenter I decided to see if I could steam bend them flat (as the pieces were quite small 8" x 4") by - wait for it - soaking the piece in water and putting in the microwave for a bit to heat the water up and then clamping the piece flat :D Reasonably sound theory I thought and worth a bash.
Trial no. 1 was quite tentative, but seemed to work. So trial no. 2 I put a couple of pieces in. However, I put the timer on for a bit too long. This I found out from the smoke and smell emanating from the microwave, suggested something was a bit overcooked :lol: There was a nice black ring at the end of one bit of wood profusely pouring out smoke (burning from the core of the wood) :shock: :lol: The rest of the wood has also gone a bit crunchy!
Anything that's now heated up in the microwave as an oak-smoked flavour to it!!
Vicissitudes of being a pioneer :lol:

Edmund,
Thanks for the pioneering work - perhaps we should strike a medal for those intrepid UKW members who advance the cause in such spectacular ways. I reckon if SWMBO has seen her microwave, then a Darwin award is a near certainty!

Edmund
for your trial #3 insert some long nails or screws into the middle of the wood this will help dry the core out much more quickly, oh and have a camera ready for the WIP images please.

Andy

waterhead37":2ldwgjkb said:
I reckon if SWMBO has seen her microwave, then a Darwin award is a near certainty!

Fortunately, as a sole agent my conversion of the kitchen into workshop no. 2 doesn't run the risk of anyones wrath (phew!).

Had considered using the microwave to make up my wax polishes: metal saucepan + turps + waxes + 3 mins on high power = flaming kitchen and no back door :lol: :shock:
But then thought better of it :lol: :lol:

dedee":zcly6o79 said:
for your trial #3 insert some long nails or screws into the middle of the wood this will help dry the core out much more quickly, oh and have a camera ready for the WIP images please.Andy

Presume that the more metal I put in the microwave the better the wood will dry... :lol: :lol: :wink:

If you put an egg or two in as well (in its shell) it will help draw the moisture out. :)

try putting in a light bulb (lamp for the electricians) to see if u can come up with some more bright ideas :lol: :lol:

shaun

I've just spent an hour on google trying to find a six foot wide microwave, it's no good I'll have to saw it into nine inch pieces first, cook it do the bending then glue it back together again. :)

Back