Experiences of a first (new) bandsaw purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading through the forums, even though the consensus was ‘go for used’, after watching a few auctions I still didn’t feel confident enough to take the risk on a used machine and fettle it to good working order so, after a lot of research, I decided to stretch to the entry level Jet bandsaw (JWBS 14Q from Axminster with their 10% off for Xmas offer) for what I believed to be that extra quality and precision that came with the brand.

To start , let me say that Axminster customer support throughout has been excellent.

First there was a minor disappointment in that the base paintwork was already scored – not a big deal, but not expected on a brand new machine.

Also from the forums, I’d read that the supplied band saw blade (with any new machine) was poor quality so had already ordered a selection of blades from Tuff Saws. I’d also watched a couple of online videos on bandsaw set-up so felt well prepared (apologies to Steve M. for not buying his DVD - he may point out that this was all covered had I invested :wink: )

Initially tried some freehand sawing which was fine. However, using the fence something was not right – I expected the default set-up to be slightly out but something was clearly wrong.

So I installed another new wider blade and reset the machine and measured the blade drift (following the instructions from the wood whisperers video on youtube). The apparent drift was so bad (over 10mm across the length of the table) that it couldn’t be adjusted for with the fence assembly. Working with Axminster customer support we determined that the problem was that the cast iron mount to which the table was fixed was not square to the frame, which in turn meant that the table wasn’t square to the direction of cut.

After two attempts at unbolting and realigning the cast iron table mount on the frame, I think I have now managed to get the bandsaw ‘working as designed’ - the ‘drift’ was small enough to be handled within the fence assembly.
As a consequence of realigning the the cast iron table mount on the frame, the lower guide assembly (which is fixed onto this mount) also needed to be adjusted.

After many hours of fettling, I now consider that I have a machine that works.

There is no guidance in the manual for these ‘adjustments’ and so the expectation seems to be that the table mount is accurately fixed during assembly. I certainly did not expect to become this ‘expert’ in the bandsaw assembly.

I am now firmly in the camp of those who recommend buying quality used!

Is this experience normal?

Col

On any entry level piece of equipment then yes I would have to say that these type of things can be expected.
(I now have donned a tin hat and flak jacket for the "it must be perfect " brigade)
IMHO entry level bits of kit are both good and bad
Good as they give you a taste of what is possible for not much money
Bad because they are usually limited in quality and ability which can lead to frustration etc.

Ref the blade drift.. the way the blade runs on the wheels will dictate blade drift and the way it runs so if you still have it and want to eliminate persevere with getting the blade running on the wheels properly.
That said I tend to just adjust the fence to compensate for it but i do also change blades often otherwise I would spend more time fettling a saw rather than working

HTH
Roger

RogerBoyle":3t4t6ng6 said:
Ref the blade drift.. the way the blade runs on the wheels will dictate blade drift and the way it runs so if you still have it and want to eliminate persevere with getting the blade running on the wheels properly.
That said I tend to just adjust the fence to compensate for it but i do also change blades often otherwise I would spend more time fettling a saw rather than working

HTH
Roger

Roger - I now believe that the underlying problem wasn't really blade drift (though that's how it appeared to me as an inexperienced user) my real problem was actually due to the misalignment of the table (and, to a lesser extent, the lower blade guides). I did spend a lot of time getting the blade running properly after each change so was fairly confident that, if anything, this was lower order contribution to any problems.

thanks for your comments ...

Col

I think tuning of a new machine is something we all have to endure, although a bit annoying after spending our hard earned cash and waiting for van man to appear with that big heavy box.
Axminster and dubious quality has been mentioned a fair bit on this site, as has first class after sales , so your findings do not come as much of a surprise.

We have just ordered and received some bits from them at school. Three cabinet trolley bases. No instructions, castor bodies needed grinding to fit, doors badly bowed, fabrication and finish poor, bent parts and brackets and one door without a hinge. The two JET lathes arrived and are very nice, but no chucks yet, or pillar drill. Never mind, the lady on the phone sounds nice.

Colin

Is this experience normal?

Completely normal, and often not just for cheap gear either unless you are getting stuff of Felder type quality where they come and set it up for you.

Also with secondhand gear you'll have to fettle it to get it working as you want it to as often as not.

My Jet bandsaw has taken years off my life ! I too thought that if I go with a respected brand, then fettling and pineapple about with it would be minimal, how wrong was I. The table casting itself is out of square, it screams like a banshee, and is just generally run of the mill.I've done everything that is humanly possible to set it correctly, but if they don't do their bit at the factory, then your on a loser. That big price tag in my opinion ain;t worth it.

Oh how I miss my KIty 613. Sold it second hand thinking I was upgrading!

phil.p":u5yhif5u said:
:) It's taken years of your life?..........It's taken years off your life? Slightly different!

I did mean years 'off' my life, as in the saying. It obviously hasn't taken years 'of' my life, not sure where you got that from?

phil.p":l1a3xfgw said:
:) It's taken years of your life?..........It's taken years off your life? Slightly different!
Do you post just for the sake of it.? I was responding to op in a constructive manner and from my experience.

Some time ago I purchased another brand of band saw, proprietary manufacturer, accurate fitting of the cast iron table was impossible, the castings were so bad (hole alignments) that the manufacturer took the saw back.
So most of the brands available these days are of Chinese origin and quality control is left to the customer , (end user) that this thing is quite normal.

So secondhand perhaps around three years old might be something to consider, after all if the seller has kept it that long it should be reasonably up to standard and if it cuts straight.

jordec66":1bnwxeqy said:
phil.p":1bnwxeqy said:
Do you post just for the sake of it.? I was responding to op in a constructive manner and from my experience.

No, I didn't post for fun - usually it's when things go really well, you have no problems and you're really pleased that you'd say "it took years off my life" (i.e. it made me feel younger) - I just read your comment differently to the way you wrote it.

FWIW, I had to strip the top end of my secondhand SIP completely, to get it to behave:

- top wheel tension adjuster mounting holes needed reaming out.
- I had to grind flats on the end of the bottom wheel spindle (to be able to spanner it), and realign it properly.
- all guides and mountings were stripped, cleaned and repositioned, again with some filing.

It now runs very nicely. I'd have had to do those things had it been new.

By the way, if I catch any metal on a blade, it becomes scrap, pretty much instantly. I had one where the nail (I think) had blunted teeth on one side: impossible to get it to track properly thereafter. Ian's blades do make a huge difference - quieter, less dust, and dead straight tracking. When it's running really sweetly, planing is reduced to just skimming off the kerf marks.

Eric, I put a new 15mm blade on mine, and after having checked the piece of wood for screws and nails - about five seconds later, ding - i hit a plasterboard screw that's head had broken off....totally analled. By the bye - have you tried M42's - they wouldn't avoid that, but I've hit small nails and staples, panel pins, little bits of grit etc. with no noticeable deterioration. They're well worth the extra money for general purpose, everyday use.

My story continues ...

I wrote an email to Axminster customer services detailing my experiences for their information.

The Axminster MD, Ian Styles then contacted me. Since I didn't want to return/exchange the bandsaw - feeling that I had fettled to a state that was as good as I could get it (or any replacement) , he volunteered to send an expert to check over the bandsaw in my workshop.

My bandsaw has now been expertly fettled and demonstrated, and it has been confirmed that no further manufacturing 'faults' exist.

A+++ for Axminster Customer Service.

Back