Expansion spaces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Branson

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings, Oh Sage Ones,
I’m mentoring for the first time. The chap is designing and building some very nice garden gates. The gates will be made of Larch, and contain panels of planked timber 110mm by 20mm. I have limited experience of outdoor projects. I need advice for him on how far apart the planks need to be to accommodate seasonal expansion and shrinkage.
Your knowledge and experience will be much appreciated.
Austin

Hi Austin, I think you need to explain to us a little bit more, you say panels of planked timber, do you mean a panel made up of planks glued together? Or separate planks with gaps between them - so not actually a panel as such.
Ian

I have only made one set of gates (still standing) with T&G boards. I left about 2mm between boards (I recall using a nail as a spacer?) and only nailed each board on one edge so that it was free to move - the other edge is held in place by the next board's T&G. It's a matter of trial and error to some extent, along with what 'looks' right. The wider the tongue and the deeper the groove the better!

Half lap is the easiest way you only need one setup to do both edges, but remember to treat the rebates before assembly.

Pete

Back