Excel/Lumberjack 1500w router table problem, Lift lock poorly working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luddite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the Excel one delivered yesterday and have found an issue which, to me is serious.
After setting the height, I reach underneath and lock it in place.
However, due to vibration the wheel gently moves, changing the height of the bit & messing the section up, no matter how tight I screw the lock knob,
In fact when tightened it is at the end of run and can not be tightened further, it's like it needs a spring to help.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to lock it properly
Thanks

On the Fox version the lock mechanism isn't the best, but I've never had it drop in that fashion.
What are you cutting and how deep in one pass?
Will the height wheel turn by hand with the lock on? If it turns easily it's faulty and should probably go back. On checking mine it's possible to turn the wheel slightly but not easily once locked, might look at putting a split washer on the shaft to take up that bit of slack

Why, how would sending it back make a difference?
The replacement (I assume) would be the same
I would suggest getting a refund while you can. If it doesn't work this early in your ownership then it is very unlikely that it will be a satisfying purchase. If you send it back straightaway you can get a refund. Start tinkering with it and trying to fix it, and the result will be something that doesn't live up to your expectations, but that you are stuck with.

Thanks for feedback.

As Tris says, when locked it can be turned with a bit of effort, however it does move when in operation.
I am using oak, 1/2" shank and in two passes.

I have been working on it today and may have solved it.

I have inserted a piece of 4mm perspex over the front plate using existing holes and longer bolts, then shaped a 60mm dia piece of beech made the lower part into a convex shape to fit into the wheel, attached through the spokes from underneath, then added three threaded inserts for a locking m6 knob.

I can then tighten as normal, but also screw the knob through into the perspex, adding extra locking power, the only 'damage' from factory condition would be the holes in the spokes of the locking wheel.
Will complete it soon and will post up results if anyone is interested

Back